How do i displine my 5 yr old daughter for showing her underwear to a classmate?

I was told she showed her underwear and he showed privates.

ladyswifty

Asked by ladyswifty at 3:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i don't think you should discipline her. i think you should explain for future reference that that is not something she should be doing. tell her that those parts of our bodies are for us only and we are not supposed to show them to anyone else. if you discipline her it will make her feel like there is something wrong with her, they were just being curious as to why they are different, perfectly normal at that age. may want to put shorts under dresses and skirts from now on too, just so it emphasizes that and isn't an issue when its easier to show them off.
    Anonymous

• If you haven't already, you should talk to her about private parts. She should know that no one but mommy should ever see or touch her private parts. Good touch, bad touch...gotta have that discussion.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Eek. Well, it sounds to me like the kids were just curious. I think that if I were you, I would sit her down and explain to her that your underwear and your privates are private and that you shouldn't show them to other people-- especially not boys. You could also throw in that if anyone asks to see her underwear or her privates she should go tell the teacher, you, daddy, etc. etc.

I don't know that I would really "discipline" her for it this first time... She probably just didn't realize it was wrong. I think that to kids of that age, they put that in the same category as "lemme see your belly button! oh, mine looks like that, too! wanna see?" until someone explains differently.

Good luck!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 3:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Wow wow, old on, before the word discipline comes in I would look at it as an opportunity to reinforce appropriateness. A child that age may be confused as to what is appropriate and what is not. So instead of thinking discipline, think re teach behavior. Keep it simple. I was told at school that you show your underwear to a classmate. Maybe you were playing maybe it seem funny, I don't know let me explain you that your body is your and yours only. you need to take good care of it and protect it. Whatever is covered with your swimming suit can not be seeing by anybody and you can't see any other person's private parts. Private parts are under your underwear. Next time anybody ask to see your private parts say no and run to an adult like a teacher. I mean be fact oriented, no scary tacticts, as naturally as you can guide her and redirect. No shame allocated, no guilt allocated, no discipline, teaching will yield you
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• better results in my opinion. Good luck and adapt the talk to fit your child's maturity level, nobody knows her better than you, so you can guide her in the right direction. Good luck.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:29 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Has she done this before? If she hasn't, then I think discipline is not the way to go here. I would sit down and explain to her about her body being hers and private and that she shouldn't show it to anyone else. Then, if she does it again, you could consider discipline. I don't really know what an appropriate punishment for that would be. That's a tough one.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Thanks to everyone, i just was so baffled when the school called me. i know now sitting down wth her and talkn to her will be the best thing to do. thanks everyone
    ladyswifty

Answer by ladyswifty at 3:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2009