9 month old having cows milk?

my daughter is 9 months, she drinks formula. but she eats just about everything, meats veggies fruits. do you think it would be okay if she started having cow's milk?

imh00ked0ny0u

Asked by imh00ked0ny0u at 3:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your child still needs the nutrients that formula or breastmilk provide. If you give her milk that could take the place of formula and she wouldn't get all she needs. Doctors recommend waiting until they are a year old.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• you can introduce it. i wouldnt do it on a regular basis though =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 3:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• No... dairy products like cheese and yogurt are safe at this age, but not straight cows milk. It's something in the way the other products are processed. Babies cannot digest milk properly until 12 months, and sometimes you can't even see the damage it's doing to their tummies (it can make the lining bleed. among other things). It's also true that your baby needs the nutrients from formula, but this is not the only reason to keep the formula... cow's milk is NOT safe for baby until 12 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• No cow's milk. There are a few things they aren't supposed to have until a year or older like cow's milk, honey, strawberries, egg whites and peanut butter. I would expect that formula offers more of what your child needs right now, and I think a lot of these "no-no" foods are to prevent allergies. (My daughter is 9 months as well, just had check-up last week so we just went over this with the pediatrician.)
    KamellasMommy

Answer by KamellasMommy at 3:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Isn't formula made from cows milk? That's what I always thought anyway, except that they add vitamins and stuff...
    Anonymous

• NO!!! Dairy is one of the allergy triggers that babies should not have before they turn one. Other allergy triggers (this is NOT a complete list) are soy, wheat, strawberries, citrus). Before baby's first birthday, nutrition comes from breastmilk (or formula); solids are given for the experience of eating them, not nutrition.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I forgot to mention that children don't need to drink cows milk ever (they are not baby cows). By now you should have started giving her water in a sippy cup; water is the best beverage for all of us! If you are concerned about getting enough calcium, here is great information on how to get it: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/strong_bones.html
    If you would like to learn about how milk isn't as wholesome as the dairy industry wants us to believe, find infomation here (Got Pus??) http://www.notmilk.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 4:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• no milk its not safe just wait u only have 3 more months ur baby will be one before u know it!
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 4:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Nope. And it's not because of allergies. It's because cow's milk lacks what she needs in her diet... even if she is a good solid food eater it isn't enough at her age when she is growing so fast. She needs the nutrition in formula.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• yep..ts better for her the PURE COWs milk my son and dd was on it at 3months....Do what ya think but im telling you its better

DONT BASh me NO ONE
    Mamaof2010

Answer by Mamaof2010 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2009