Thinking of giving my 9 yr old and 7 yr old a chore list for an allowance. What are you thoughts?

I'm a very busy mom of four. Children ages are 9, 7, 2, 1 . I'm thinking about giving my 9 & 7 yr olds a chore list for the week and then giving them a small allowance on Fridays. I've heard from some that this is not a good idea because it teaches them to expect to be paid for something they should be doing anyway. Just curious what your thoughts are. Looking forward to reading the responses. Thank you!! Gina

UHmomOf4

Asked by UHmomOf4 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My thoughts are if you feel that is what will work for you as a parent, a family and your children then I guess that is what you should do.

For me I am a strict parent I guess as my mom was to me. I tell my children this is our house and our responsibility, not just mine as we all live here. I also tell them that one day they will be doing all the things I teach them for their own family and need to know how to maintain a home. I don't do allowances, but I do divide out chores and expect them done. They vacuum, sweep, clean their bathroom, clean up things off the floors, put away dishes, fold laundry and put away laundry, they pretty much can do what I do with exception to fixing dinners/paying bills and they are ages 8,7, 6, 4 yrs old. I started them on picking up their own messes when they could stand, and progressed other responsibilities as they aged. That's me; you do what you need to for your family, ignore others.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 7:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• We always had standard things we were expected to do...pick up our laundry, carry dishes to the sink after dinner. The extras got us our allowance..folding laundry, dusting, vacuuming...
    I have heard someone say they had a chart on the wall and each chore was given a dollar amount. The kids had to earn money for all extras and could do as much as they wanted. For example: vacuuming 50 cents, empty dishwasher 50 cents..tally up and get paid on fridays.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I would do dishes (no knives or pots) sweeping, throwing the trash, maybe folding towels or something and vaccume. When I was 6 or 7 I would do dishes for $3 a week, and if I vaccumed I would get $5.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 3:35 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• We have 3 kids 12,12 and 8, our 12 year olds started getting a chore list when they were about 9, we made a list of chores for them and we did reward them $1 a day if they completed all their chores. The chore list went away around the time they were 11 1/2, now they know what is expected of them and they just do it. Since they are older, their rewards come with good grades now instead of house chores. My 8 year old has chores he does every day but he's on the same reward system as the 2 oldest ones, he gets rewarded for good grades and good behavior (he's our problem child!). I think it's a good idea!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• This is great stuff! Thank you ladies! Keep'm coming.
    UHmomOf4

Answer by UHmomOf4 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I always gave my kids chores...starting with putting away their toys when they were much younger than your's. I never tied it to an allowance though. My sister did this and everytime she'd ask her kids to do something, they'd want to know how much she would pay them. I told my kids you help with chores because this is your home too. I give you an allowance because I love you and it is a gift. It isn't payment for doing what families do. So...I would say give the chore list, give the allowance. I did occasionally tell my kids that if they couldn't be kind to me by helping me, I wouldn't be kind to them by giving them an allowance...but I never made them think they were earning the money for contributing to the upkeep of our home. That worked well for us.
    Anonymous

• I think kids, when parents can afford it, should have some pocket money, some of which they save, some to spend, and a small amount to be given toward a cause or charity of their choice.
    But I also think that kids should be expected to contribute to the upkeep of the household because they are members of it, not because they are paid to do so.
    maybe you could divide your chore list into those chores which are expected to be done for no pay, and those for which you're willing to pay, with an amount attached to each one.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My allowance was given to me by my grandparents, who lived next door to us and took care of me after school and paid for my music and dance lessons. I got $1 for every hour that I practiced my music for my lessons. I got an additional $5 for a perfect review from my music instructors. There were some weeks (mostly in high school) when I was getting $50 because I practiced so much.

I like the first answer... about how there are some things that are expected, and the things on top of that is what should be paid for. Cleaning up trash around the house should be expected, but taking it out to the trashcan should be rewarded. Makes sense to me. =]
    MelanieLouise

Answer by MelanieLouise at 5:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Here is the thought process that my husband and I went through. We don't get paid for doing laundry, washing dishes, etc.; we do them because they need to be done and this is what good roommates due. We do get paid for doing our jobs; a child's job is going to school and getting good grades, so we pay for grades with every reportcard. In elementary school it was $5 for an A, $2 for a B, nothing for a C -$2 for a D and -$5 for and F. The first F we saw was Honors Geometry (5 A's and an F, go figure).

Answer by rkoloms at 7:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My kids don't get an allowance because they are expected to help out around the house because they are part of the family...and because they make 90% of the messes. I don't get paid so they don't get paid.
    My kids are 8, 7, 6 and 3 and they all have chores to do. They do everything except loading the dishwasher, laundry (because they can't reach the controls) and cleaning the bathroom (I don't trust them with the cleaning supplies). But anything else they do-from cleaning their room to sweeping the floors to washing windows and walls (after all it's their grimy finger prints on everything). My 7yo son actually asked if he could wash windows today, lol. But we're out of windex.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2009