My son has had a hang nail for a few months and now it's red with pus under his nail. He has been prescribed antibiotics, but it seems to me that it is not helping .Any suggestions ?

I also notice another area on his thumb the skin part right beside the nail has a little pus in it

detwan

Asked by detwan at 3:33 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Health

• it's got puss in it. that happened to me a few times (i pick at my nails and cuticles) and what i did was squeeze the puss out (make sure you pull the skin back tight so the puss doesn't have anywhere to go but out through where the hang nail is). it was really painful though so your son will probably scream in pain. it's the pressure of so much puss in there that hurts so you have to relieve the pressure by getting the puss out. if you leave it alone, it will get better but it takes a while.
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 4:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• he will be okay!...
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 4:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• im sure he will be fine. antibiotics? i would have tried something different
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 7:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It needs to be kept clean. Soak it in warm water, let it air dry, and put a bandage around it.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• run that finger in the hottest water that he can stand for about 3 minutes every hour for around 6 hours, this will increase white blood cells to the infected area and will start to be cleared up almost immediately. Try it!!
    Anonymous