What do the Fire Sirens Mean?

I've heard that a certain number of times it goes off means a certain thing, but I dont know what or if its true. Has anyone else heard of this and does anyone know what it means?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 3:33 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• hmmm I have no idea! I just know when they go off there's an emergency somewhere. but now that I think of it, I think I have heard about this but I cant remember.....
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• No clue. They don't go off here but when we lived in PA they went off all the time and it took me awhile before I realized what they were for. The town we lived in along with all the other towns in the area all had volunteer fire departments so the sirens went off every time there was a fire so they knew to get to the station. You could hear the sirens from several different towns from where we lived and we were a block from our fire station so we heard them a lot. They also went off when curfew started at 10pm.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• On the actual fire truck?
    Anonymous

• no from the fire hall. I know that they mean something like if it goes off 4 times in a row then its a fire or something like that. Not every place has the sirens though
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I know, in our area, every first Saturday of the month they test the alert sirens.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2009