Rude Mother In Law

My MIL is usually a sweet sweet lady but every once in a while she says something extremly rude! For example, When she found out that on the weekends my DH gets up with our baby so I can have a solid nights sleep she says,"well when does he get to sleep"? Umm hello he sleeps all week while I get up with the baby. And once when she was visiting I was sitting down and asked my DH to get our oldest son a sippy cup and she looks at me and says, " What ,are you stuck in that chair"? I said jokinly, " It's my day off" and she snaps back, "well when does he get a day off".

Am I wrong in thinking shes a B word? Does everyone have problems with their MIL's?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• I had major problems with mine. But, then she died and now I can't say anything about her without DH biting my head off. And yes, I think yours is bing a B.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It sounds to me like she is just one of those ladies where she thinks the kids are women's work. There's probably not much you can say to change her mind about that at this point. I would just ignore her or tell her this is the 21st century and dad's help out more these days. Or tell him he needs to speak up about it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• No, everyone doesn't have problems witht hier MIL's but many do. She is being a bitch. To me it sounds like she has very antiquated ideas about male & female roles in the family. Depending on how often or severe it is, I may or may not say something to her about it (nicely of course). Just take her comments with a grain of salt. GL!

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 3:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• No not everyone has problems with their MIL's...You must learn to deal with your MIL in a way in which she can understand...I know you don't want to be rude but sometimes, you must cross the line in order to get them to understand your do's and don'ts...and its obvious that your MIL feels that her precious son shouldn't help you with the kids...so when she has a rude comment, just simply reply, "cause in our home, we raise our children together" put a smile on your face and keep the conversation moving...that will either shut her up or get her out your face, either way, it would be a good decision on her part...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• eww sounds like she's having a case of the moooooondaaaaaaays! my nana makes smart remarks like that all the time. yes MIL has her moments. she never calls SO unless her truck breaks down. never sends a bday card, never calls just to say hello, never calls to let us know when to arrive for a holiday.... SO doesnt deal with his family too much since it hurts him. but when we are together she's a load of fun. she loves her grandchildren and always brings up memories with her children. in fact she so happened to find a pic of SO on his first bday, the day of my son's first bday! and she gave us a copy of the picture. I thought that was very sweet.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I wish my ex mother in law would die...lol
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all your help! I know she thinks that I should do all the work and how dare I make her precious little boy lift a finger! His Grandmother is the same way! She once told me that I was not allowed to go out with my friends but it was ok for him to do it because I am the mother and I should be at home! So clearly I know where his mother gets it! This has been going on for 4 years now and I think its time for my DH to step in and put his mother in her place! Wish me luck!
    Anonymous

• I'm with your mil.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Answered at 5:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 by: Chrissy629

I'm with your mil.

THANKS FOR SETTING WOMENS RIGHTS BACK! SHOULD THEY TAKE AWAY OUR RIGHT TO VOTE TOO?
    Anonymous

• Is it possible that it's the way it was worded? I have a friend that barks orders at her BF and it drives his family crazy. It's their way of talking to each other, but the family seems to forget that he talks the same way to her. When she says "when does he get a day off?" I'd tell her that if she wants to come over and babysit, you'll both sleep in on the weekends and you're up and down all week getting everything for everyone, so if she wants to do that too, it's fine with you, but you're very appreciative of the help he gives you and that she should be proud that her son WANTS to be there and do things for his child.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2009