Giving your kid Tobasco Sauce to rid them of paci's or thumb sucking?

This was suggested to me from another mom. She told me to put a TINY drop of Tobasco sauce on my dd's paci and give it to her. Her father did that to her thumb and it stopped her from sucking anymore. My dd has recently become VERY attached to her paci. She used to only need it at night for bed, but that changed to needing it in the car on the way home (after work), and that grew to needing it when we got home and all evening until bed. She now has a double ear infection from using her paci (dr said so- it is behind her ear canal instead of in the canal like when they get water in their ears) and that we need to get her to stop using it. Great... We have tried this before and that resulted in her screaming for 2 hours and puking I don't know how many times. HAve any ideas? She is only 20 months, so I don't think she would get the concept of a paci fairy. She doesn't speak sentences, so I'm not sure what she understands.

bugs-momma

Asked by bugs-momma at 3:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • Ear infection because of a passy?? Ive never heard that and I have raised 4 babies. ALL Of them sucked pacifiers and one still does. No, I don't like the tabasco idea. I read an article in WebMD that its fine for a child to use a passy until permanent teeth come in. I think thats a bit long psychologically, but it was good information. I am a fan of letting the child be a baby for a long as possible. You cant cut a thumb off. I say leave the kid alone and let her have it. Just me though.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:41 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• They have this stuff called Thum (I think). My mom used to put it on my thumb to get me to stop sucking it. Tastes really bad, like bug spray... bitter, nasty... Try to find some of that. The tabasco sauce I'm guessing is just too spicy and too much to take for a kiddo.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 3:41 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Either that or just take them ALL away and don't give in. In the trash and no more paci... She may throw a fit for a few days to a week, but she'll get over it.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 3:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I know it wouldn't work on my son, he loves Hot Wings lol. I'd suggest just throwing it away, she's old enough for it to be taken away and she'll get over it. Of course she'll throw a fit but just try doing something else with her to take her mind off of it. Take her to the park to look at ducks or just to a play ground or something outdoors so she has something to look at.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 3:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My dd is 23 months old and sucks her thumb. She gave up the paci at 12 months on her own - the thumb was more readily available. We tried the tabasco sauce and even salsa and come to find out she likes them!!!! DH gave her just a little bit on her thumb and once it was gone she asked for more. Yes I have a very weird kid who loves the weird foods :-) Good luck

kittymom

Answer by kittymom at 3:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i dont think its a big deal either but if the pediatrician told me that, i'd be inclined to nip it in the bud just because of the possibility that it might be true. i mean, i guess it could make sense since, the ear, nose, and throat are all connected. my sons both bite their finger nails. and i am going to start rubbing fresh garlic on their finger tips while they are sleeping and see if it works. i'm going to put it on while they sleep so they don't blame me. some moms swear by it! maybe it'll work for your little one if you really need her to stop.
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 3:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Answered at 2:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 by:

* nairda

naird...
    i dont think its a big deal either but if the pediatrician told me that, i'd be inclined to nip it in the bud just because of the possibility that it might be true. i mean, i guess it could make sense since, the ear, nose, and throat are all connected. my sons both bite their finger nails. and i am going to start rubbing fresh garlic on their finger tips while they are sleeping and see if it works. i'm going to put it on while they sleep so they don't blame me. some moms swear by it! maybe it'll work for your little one if you really need her to stop.

Thank you!!! I know, if it were some other person that said it, I probably wouldn't give it much thought. However, it was a medical professional that told me, therefore, there must be truth to it. I can't cut the tip off because she doesn't care (already tried and she used it anyhow)
    bugs-momma

Answer by bugs-momma at 3:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Hot sauce doesn't work, at least didn't for us. Ours grew out of it on her own, as most that have thumb suckers told us, I hated that she didn't grow out of it earlier, she was 7, but we tried everything and the only option was talking to her about it, and making sure she had to have the will power herself to 'want' to quit on her own.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 4:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I did take away all pacifiers, but thumb sucking isn't always something they will go to after 9 months of age if you've used a pacifier all this time, in case that is a fear for you, our other three were taken off pacifiers at 9 months and didn't suck thumb, our first born we didn't do pacifiers and that's why she was a thumb sucker, thumb off didn't work, time did the job for her.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 4:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Hot sauce will cause her pain! Why would you willingly hurt your child?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2009