did you save your baby's cord blood?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to save my baby's cord blood, how many of you did it? Any stories or info about it?

javila

Asked by javila at 3:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was told that if you save the piece that falls off it's the same as saving the cord blood, I don't know if it's true but we still have them. It was too expensive to save it, they need to lower the price. I don't know why they charge so much. I would save it if medical issues run in your family.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 3:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• what do you do with the last piece? how do you store it?
    javila

Answer by javila at 3:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• We put it in containers and stored it in our, I have no idea if it's true, our pediatrician said as long as it's a big enough piece it's good to save.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 3:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I have my son's little stump piece in a baggie. Is it helpful? The cord blood is like $1000.00 a month to store or something. Too high.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Sorry we stored it in our safe
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 3:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• oh okay. hm. i'll probably just do that...not too many health issues in my family.
    javila

Answer by javila at 3:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Cord blood is around $1500-2000 to store initially. After the first $1500 there is a yearly fee of around $100 or $200 and for most cord banking places the yearly fee is set for a certain amount of years. 20-25 years, after which the fee will go up. It isn't $1000 a month. Storing the umbilical cord in your own safe isn't going to do any good whatsoever if your baby ever needs it. The cells will all be dead. What good is that going to do? They need to be stored at a certain temperature, I think maybe right above freezing, but I don't really know. Either way, room temperature will just kill the cells. It's like if you accidently cut off one of your fingers, if you don't get yourself and your finger to the ER in time, your finger will be dead and there will be no way to sew it back on.
    We haven't really decided whether we will store ours or not. Mostly because of the cost. If not, we'll donate it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2009