Could stress stall labor?

Can stress stall labor?
Im worried and stressed out b/c my dr. wants to induce on monday. I really dont want to. I already told him NO when he tried last wedsday. I He said my bp is too high 140/90. So, im really stressed about it. My due date is today. Could my stress be stalling labor?
Please what can I do to relax?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes stress can stall labor. Try going for a walk. Maybe go to the baby section of a store and look at all the cute stuff :). Get outside and go for a walk and enjoy the fresh air. Don't worry about monday. Your body is your body...now just breath :)
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• First off - yes, stress can stall labor. Now, to say that stress is the one thing that is stopping you from having this baby today - that I have no idea. But it can stall it and prolong labor. Second, I am so, so sorry that you have this stress in your life right now. I was told in my first trimester by an OBGYN that they wanted to induce on my due date - because I am too "small". I switched practitioners and ended up having a healthy baby boy a week after that "due date"... and with no tearing or episiotomy - so much for being "too small", and all that with an 8 pounder! Anywho, I'd stick to my guns if I were you and refused the induction, meanwhile keeping a close eye on your BP and trying your best to relax (maybe your favorite movie or food, a massage, a quiet walk...prayer... whatever relaxes you). Best of luck!
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Bp is not something to be messed with if your dr thinks you should be induced then i would do it. You don't want to harm yourself or the baby. And being induced is not that bad it gives to time to prepare yourself. I was induced with my last two and am being induced with this one of course i also got an epi with both and plan on getting one with this one. I was so relaxed i napped till it was time to push. What you need to do tho if you want to go on ur own is going for a nice long walk maybe go to a nail salon and get ur feet massaged after enjoy the day. Then maybe later that evening have some fun with ur hubby.
    Anonymous

• A lot of things can stall labor. General discomfort, anxiety, stress, or fear can stall, stop, and even reverse labor.Ina May, a famous midwife, states that even when a woman is fully dilated, and even crowning, the slightest bit of tension or stress of some sort can stall or reverse the labor. I know nothing about blood pressure, or the specific risks to pregnancy, but I highly doubt you stressing is helping it very much. You should really try focusing on relaxing, &good for you that you refused thee induction. Today is your due date, and due dates have a normal 4-5week window anyway [3weeks before, 2after] so I think you should keep telling your doctor No. Your baby will come when he/she is ready.

Unless your pregnancy has been labeled "high-risk" from the start, I think your refusal is best. Birth is natural, your body knows whats best so trust it and your bundle will be just fine =]
    AutumnAwe

Answer by AutumnAwe at 4:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• If ur BP was high u should have thought about the baby and got induced already and not urself
    Anonymous

• Before you go running your mouth about something you know nothing about.
    My bp is not that high I keep a check on it hourly and I dont have preclampsia and I had an ultra sound and NST the baby IS fine!
    Anonymous