Who's last name should my grandson have?

My stepdaughter is having her second son in August. She is divorced of her first son's father and her second son's father wants nothing to do with the baby. Should she give the baby the father last name or her ex-husband's last name ( which is currently her and her first son last name) or should she go have her last name change back to her maiden name and give it to her second son?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• the mother's last name because you never know if the dads are going to stick around
    indianlove

Answer by indianlove at 3:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• The baby should have HER last name regardless if she wants to keep the ex's name, or change it to her maiden name. If the daddy is a dead beat, she should not give the baby the fathers name, no way.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I think that if the father wants nothing to do with the baby that the baby should have her maiden name. Why would she give the baby he ex-husband's last name...hes not the father. But it all depends on what she is more comfortable with.
    crice913

Answer by crice913 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• personally i'd give the baby the same name as me and my son because it's a little too much trouble for me personally to change my name and i wouldn't give the baby a different name from myself and the other son because he could feel left out and why should have have the fathers name if the father doesn't care
    javila

Answer by javila at 3:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• If it were me, I'd change my last name back to my maiden name and name my child with my maiden name, I think...
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 3:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Change back to her maiden name and give it to her second son. My mother has three kids and my sister was a surprise and she gave my sister her married name. When she divorced she never went back to her married name and my sister always hated that she had our dad's last name. She wanted our moms maiden, her dad wanted nothing to do with her either. I always told my mom I would never be mad if she went back to her maiden name, in fact I encouraged it.

Anonymous

• *When she divorced she never went back to her married name*

*I meant she never went back to her maiden name.*
    Anonymous

• I would say her maiden name..since her ex husband isn't the father that'd be just weird to give the baby his last name, and if the babys dad doesn't want anything to do with him then it'd be best to have her maiden name
    Aidensmommy2be

Answer by Aidensmommy2be at 4:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• The baby should have the same name as the mom, but giving the baby her ex-husband's last name could cause confusion for the ex. This is a tough situation. If her first son is young enough to not really be impacted by a name change, then I say they should all have her maiden name.
    lvaughn26

Answer by lvaughn26 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i gave my daughter my maiden name.. i thought her dad was going to be a deadbeat too because he said he didnt want to be here for her when i was pregnant.. but once i had her he is head over heals for her, its his little girl. sooo you never know whats going to happen.. but yeah
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2009