Agressive after fixing?

My dog was pretty good before I got him fixed. He would bark at strangers, but he never tried to bite or nip at anyone, except if someone was outside the fence and tried to come in that he didn't know. Since we got him fixed, about a month and a half ago, I'm starting to notice that he will nip at my sons when they reach out to pet him (the youngest does get a little rough sometimes, but this is even when he's not), or if he has a toy or something and they reach toward him, even if they're not near the toy. I am working on stopping him and he is stopping, but I'm just wondering if this is common for a dog to become more agressive after they are fixed? Or is there maybe something wrong with him that I'm not seeing?

tropicalmama

Asked by tropicalmama at 3:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pets

• How was his recovery? Did he seem painful during his recovery or did anything traumatic happen during it, like an infection or injury? Maybe he is guarding the area still, though usually after a week, they don't mind it anymore. Wish we could read their minds... lol! I've noticed the opposite those, especially this far after surgery, that they are more docile than before being fixed. Just let him know YOU are the boss and what's not allowed.

Another thing, have his stitches dissolved or been taken out yet? if there's a stitch still in there, it may be irritating him, which may be another reason for guarding.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 3:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I had a female cat that turned EVIL after she was fixed. I really regretted fixing her, but 1 round of kittens was enough for me. She was the BEST cat ever though prior to getting her fixed, i was VERY saddened that she turned into bitch cat. I think it's something people need to do as young as possible, & i will remember that next time around.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• That's the weird thing. He healed fine, actually even quicker than they said he would. And for the longest time, he was more docile, much more relaxed and even lazy. It's just in the last week, maybe close to two weeks that he started this. And he does it no matter where they try to touch him, head, tail, anywhere in between. I'm just baffled, b/c he never did this before. They used to sit on him, tug his tail (gently), he was one of those dogs where people say their kids just do whatever and the dog just sits there and doesn't react. I thought maybe he was just fed up with that, so I told my kids to stop, and he still does this. He stops when I tell him no biting, and he even gets this guilty "I'm sorry" look. I just don't get it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2009