Does labor just happen outta no where?

Can labor just happen? Im only 1-2cm dialtated and 70% effaced. I have never felt contraction before. My due dates today. Can labor just start out of nowhere. Like wake me up from my sleep and just start. I always here ppl having signs and contractions weeks or days before they go in labor. What was the case for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think contractions can come on pretty strong and that's when you know. I don't know, though, because my water broke and that got the show on the road! Good luck!!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• yes, it can just start, not everyone experiences contractions/braxton hicks (?) before they go into labor.
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 3:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• everyones labor is different, but yes, labor CAN just happen out of nowhere. you'll know when it happens. it will wake you from your sleep, and might even knock you on your butt if your up and moving around. but it can happen anywhere and can take anywhere between 5 mins and days. good luck and congrats on the baby =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 3:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• this is what happened with me: a few days past my due date I performed reflexology on my ankles hoping to induce my labor since I was passed due anyways. later that night SO and I had sex. an hour or so later BAM the harshest pressure came out of nowhere and I had 70 second contractions every 2-3 minutes. and I was only 1 cm dilated. so yeah mine came out of nowhere.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Yup, I woke up one morning and got up to go pee and my water broke right as I stood up! Congrats!
    Anonymous

• My contractions woke me up from a dead sleep. You'll know when its happening. Best of luck :)
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• yeh my contractions woke me up from a dead sleep as well... i would get woken up and go back to sleep - It was like this for hours and i had no idea... i just thought i was having pains.... but they gradually got intense and closer together, to the point where i didnt even have to time them... thats when i went to the hospital... i got there and i was 4cm dilated....
    I had been 2cm dilated and 60% effaced for about three weeks before i went into labor... i also went six days early....
    You will know when you go into labor... you cant even talk through a contraction and it makes you just wanna clench your pillow and smack anyone who talks to you while your having one.... good luck mama!
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• No, labor doesn't just come out of nowhere...you have to be pregnant! Just kidding. When it starts there will be no question as to what it is. It's signs are unmistakable and unlike anything else you have ever experienced and different from any other pregnant woman's account of the way it happened for her.
    www.newmommyteesandjeans.com
    Mommyghee

Answer by Mommyghee at 5:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2009