• In the Spotlight:

7 month old won't sleep!

My 7 month old still does not sleep through the night. To begin with, he is a horrible napper. He won't nap unless I hold him in the rocker, if I do that he will take 2 - 2 hour naps. If I try to put him in his crib, even if he is already sleeping, he wakes right up. I have tried everything including letting him cry it out. He will cry for 45 minutes and never let up. Should I let him cry longer??? At night, he goes to sleep ok, but wakes up 2-4 times per night. He stops crying as soon as I pick him up. Again, I try to let him cry it out, but he never stops or lets up! HELP!!!

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 3:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh man, this is hard. I know because I was going through the same thing! My 7 mo. dd would keep waking up at night and I realized it was because I kept going in there and nursing her. So, I started making sure she ate more during the day. so I was pretty sure she wasn't hungry. THen I would wake her up to feed her right before I went to bed at 11, she goes to bed at 8 after a nice bath and a bottle with cereal in it. Well, just recently I started going in and patting her on the back when she wakes up and giving her her paci. I did that a few times the first night and then the 3rd time, I waited her out and she went to sleep. Each time I waited a little longer. AFter 3 nights of that, she has slept from 11 to 6-7 am. Hallelujah! It sounds like he may have gotten to the point where he needs you to get him back to sleep by rocking/holding, so he needs to learn to calm himself, what if you go in and don't pick him up?
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• If he sees me, he cries more. Oh, and we have a very established bed time routine, so that is not the issue.
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 4:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• try giving him cereal b4 bed i gave my first cereal when he was 3 months old and he only would wake up once maybe 2 times
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 4:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Our daughter is 7 months old and we have a set nap and bed time. We change her then feed her and she goes to bed awake. We do not rock her to sleep as most kids either wake up or it becomes worse because they expect it to sleep. Do not get up with him, go in check on him, give him a blanket and leave the room. It took us about 3 days for her to stop. If she cried longer than an hour we would get her for no more than 20 minutes and comfort her and then is was back to bed. No more food, or rocking her to sleep. crying will not hurt him and he knows you come running. So turn the monitor down and check it every so often. Let him cry and he will catch on. You need to break him of the rocking him to sleep at nap time as well because he is not learning his room on his own and learning to soothe himself if your doing it for him. Give it a few days and wait it out he will stop.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• well I can offer a few things to help with nap time but my 10 month old doesnt even sleep through the night, she wakes up about 2 times. anyways my dd used to only want to be held for her entir nap, so when I switch her to convertable carseat I brought her infant one in the house and I rock her to sleep in that. It works great for us and she will take both of her 2 hr naps in it. If your baby likes to sleep in the car I suggest trying it:) GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:29 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• my son is 8 months old and sometimes he sleeps through the night and sometimes he doesnt, I dont do anything different. He has a schedule that is the same everyday. I used to rock my son too, recently I put him in his crib while still awake for naps and bedtime, sometimes he will scream but I use a musical mobile on his crib and turn it on and walk out and shut the door, Most people say dont let them cry anymore than 1 hr, my sont never cries that long, maybe 30 mins, and now he doesnt fuss at all. It will take a few days to do this where he will be crying, I would say stick with it the same everyday. Babies this age strive on routine and taking out rocking in the routine and replacing it with a music mobile or something for now will probably help. try it, that is all you can really do.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Hi, i have a 7 month as well, and I am having the same problem. He cries, then I get him and take him to bed with me and fall asleep nursing him, then I get up put him to bed and an hour or two later the same thing happens. I think I know what the problem is... I am spoiling him, but How do you stop doing that?? I guess we have to let them cry, but then the rest of the kids will wake up too, and God forbid the husband!
    mommyk5

Answer by mommyk5 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• he is a baby. he needs to be held and fed often. co-sleeping may work better for you - he will be able to breastfeed while you doze.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• By the way,my daughter was 8 months old before she slept six solid hours.