9 months old with allergies?

I have allergies year round (and around dust and cats) so I would assume, if my kids are going to have allergies too, they will have them year round (which means, for the last 9 months, she's been affected by different things in the air). So with that said; has anyone had a child diagnosed with allergies this young? My daughter has had a clear, runny nose for over a week straight (and my allergies have been bothering me about that long too) and she acts fine, no cough or fever. Her snot-nose was really bad this morning which just happened to be the same day we had maintinence working on our lawns and my allergies are really bad today too. I know docs wait a while to diagnose things but I really thinks she has my allergies and feel so bad for her! She can't breathe and I am constantly wiping her nose!

KamellasMommy

Asked by KamellasMommy at 3:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Try using a cool mist humidifier in her room to help keep down on the dust and it will help her nose. She needs to have allergy testing done to know what she is allergic to. You can always give her some form of allergy medications. Benedryll makes children's medicine or you can find some type of natural way to deal with it. Get a good air purifier. She could also be teething causing the runny nose.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Yeah, if it continues, I guess I'll try the humidifier and allergy meds for babies. If the meds work then I will talk to the doc more about looking into it.
    KamellasMommy

Answer by KamellasMommy at 4:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My son was prob around that age when I started to assume he had my allergies, we determined he had asthma @15 months. I would try to use a humidifer and get the nose cleared out. unless its asthma related to her breathing, there's not much you can do about it. To my suprise after having my son tested, hes allergic to dust, cats, dogs but wasnt to pollen, though I am all of the above. So he never had a pollen reaction, it was just coinsidence. New allergy test available, that is just a simpe blood test, can test for the allergies I metioned above plus mold. It used to be 12 shots on each arm...I avoided getting my son tested for that reason. you should call your doctor. But one thing when my son was a young toddler. My doctor suggested to keep exposing him to all his suspecting allergens to try to build his own umminity and help his body react less severe to them. Now of course we try to avoid anything we can.
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Looks like the humidifier is the best option. I will definitely look into the blood testing. I never even got tested because of the shot method, so there is no way I would put my kids through that!
    KamellasMommy

Answer by KamellasMommy at 4:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It is a big possibility. I have year round allergies and my son developed them too. It wasn't shocking, my entire family has seasonal allergies. Some just have them worse than others. I don't remember how old he was though, over 3 yr old I think.

Vaporizer, bath before bed (to wash off the allergens), no carpet in bedroom. Talk to the doc at next visit.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Have you looked into gettng an air purifier for your house? I know you can't control what is outside of your house, but you can control the quality of air inside your home. I recommend the AirSource2000. It is kind of pricey, but totally worth the money. I loved having one in my home. It made the air in my house smell fresh and clean, just like after a rain storm. If you would like to know more about the AirSource send me an e-mail at megan_richert@yahoo.com
    Blessings,
    Megan
    MeganKay1977

Answer by MeganKay1977 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2009