For the pagans, how do I get my 2 year old invovled in my rituals and Sabbats?

My spouse and I are two different religions and I am not sure how to introduce our child to both. I want my daughter to be part of my spirituality, but am not sure how to explain it to her. Are there any books that you can recommend on the subject?

fireball1978

Asked by fireball1978 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would say at 2, he is most likely to young to be involved in the ritual itself. I would be to afraid they would knock over candles and burn the huose down. And you don't want half your attention to go to the kid and take away from the ritual itself. But I would suggest celebrating with them durring the rest of the day. Have them help you make a special dinner or do crafts through the day. Take them to the park or out in the yard to plant seeds or cut herbs... Involve them in other aspects of religion and not the rituals... At least until they are older.

At this age they aren't pagan or Christian or anything else yet - no more than they are womens lib activists... They can't be. So to expect them to be involved and interested in the ritual aspect of Paganism just isn't right. They can learn and partisipate in other activities though until they are ready to dedicate or go on another path.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Id find crafts that have to do with the sabbats as they come along. Things that are nature based. Talk about those things because that is the base of much along with the God and Goddess of course.
    As far as participating, I wouldnt do that quite yet. Maybe you could do a short prayer for morning and/or night if your child talks decently. My kids enjoy that.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• thank you for the input
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 10:23 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I agree with Sabrina and amaranth! :-)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:21 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Make up songs, use "advent" calenders, ask him questions and get his 2yo answers on things (always amusing, just remember to write them down!). Take a walk in the park or some where with lots of nature (back yards work too). "See how the trees are growing new leaves? That means Beltaine is comming" or " Falling leave means that it's coming time for Samhain, the leaves are dying and returning to Mother Earth"..... things like that.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 3:05 PM on May. 4, 2009