Medical billing and coding independent study?

Has anyone does this? Where do I find the books for it and where can I test? How much does all of it cost?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• Check out American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). Both sites are professional organizations for coders. You can either take courses through them and pay just the student membership, or you can obtain a degree at another college and join AHIMA at their regular membership. Once you join either site and you are sure you are ready for one of the certification exams they will set you up at an exam location on a particular date and time. Exams are expensive so be sure to study thoroughly.
    Look carefully through each professional organization's site to see which suits you best.
    Also, the time you spend in your coding courses count as experience for your resume.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I took billing and coding local classes no one ever hired me saying I had no experience. And most online studies and sites say those ads saying you can make $40,000 a year with medical billing is a scam. In most cases you pay for the at home courses, do well, but no one accepts them as accredited courses and no one hires without a degree at a legit college AND experience!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 25, 2009