When to

okay when do you take a baby off the bottle.. my son was on a sippy cup by 5months he was already sitting up and didnt want the bottle...(he's 2 now)

but now i have a 5month old and wic is trying to tell me to take her off the bottle...Well she is 13lbs and not sitting up by her self yet
. she has 2 teeth

Mamaof2010

Asked by Mamaof2010 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think when the baby is ready then that is when, wic tries to have me take my son off the bottle too but he is 8 months old and i try the sippy cup all the time, all different ones and he doesnt want it right now, dont force your baby when the time is right and she feels she is ready then she will be, there is no right or wrong, plus if she cant sit up on her own that I dont think it would be safe.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i would tell wic to suck a fat one. thats BULL your baby doesnt need to be off the bottle till one. they cant tell you that you NEED to take a FIVE MONTH OLD off the bottle. thats insane and ridiculous. every child is different and just because your first was quick with a cup and no bottle does NOT mean this one is. just stand up for yourself and tell them YOU dont think shes ready, because shes obviously not. good luck momma =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 4:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• She should be getting formula or breastmilk until at least 12 months. Tell WIC to KYA.
    Anonymous

• If she's ready for a sippy cup then make the switch. (anon 4:40...you still put formula or breastmilk in sippy cup! Just because a baby isn't on a damn bottle doesn't mean they're drinking anything other than formula or breastmilk)

WIC, I swear, at times doesn't know their butt from a hole in the ground. Listen to your pediatrician, listen to your mom's instinct, listen to your baby. Go in for your checks, do what you have to do and nod politely then leave. WIC tried to tell me my son was underweight and he was in the 98th percentile! (he was LONG too)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I THINK 5 MONTHS OLD IS TO YOUNG FOR A SIPPY CUP....KEEP GIVING HER THE BOTTLE TILL SHE'S OLDER MAYBE A YEAR OR 18 MONTH OR WHEN SHE IS OLD ENOUGH TO HOLD THE CUP AND HAS MORE TEETH!

ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Max is 8 months old and he likes chewing on his sippy cup with his one tooth. that's about it. I don't think he has figured out that there is even anyhting in it. It's just a new toy for now.
    Liz0808

Answer by Liz0808 at 3:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My son is 7 monthsa old i just went and picked up wic thursday and they didnt say anyting about taking him off the bottle.
    Haven_Doug1013

Answer by Haven_Doug1013 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• What state are you in and it depends on the people who try to tell you what to do with your child in Wic...........Wic gets on my nerves
    Anonymous