Would you put your toddler on a child leash?

I've seen it and thought many of times of putting lil j on one when we are at an amusement park, flea market or somewhere doing alot of walking around but his father said it just didn't seem right. I've seen parents with kids on on one, it didn't look right but it seems like it would help.

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 4:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• No way! I already have warned my family, you try to put a leash on my kid and we're going to have problems.
    Anonymous

• I do when we go to the swamp meet, it's alot safer than the kids you see running away while there moms are looking, and the kids don't want to be stuck in the stroller for an hour while you look, so my son is fine with it I got him one that looks like a back pack.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I tried only because i refuse to put him in the shoppin cart its too dangerous and because I cant always hold his hand when shopping...it dug into his neck too much so it was no good for us.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i dont see it as a leash. they have these REALLY cute ones at walmart that i used for my son when he had this HUGE hand holding problem, he REFUSED to do it. so i got him a monkey backpack thing. it straps like a stroller does around the front of them and the "tail" was the part the parent held. i loved it, and it WORKED. when he got better with hand holding we just stopped putting it on him and now he just plays with it like a regular toy!!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 4:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Before I had kids I was adamant that I would never. I've 3 and I've yet to do it but Ido see how some parent's need to. My kids have always held our hands. I have friends who's kids don't like to hold hands and have used leashes. Even with leashes you still have to pay attention to what and where your child is going and getting into. I've seen parent's with kid's on leashes who have no idea that they've just stuck a trinket from a fair in their pocket or touching garbage cans, ewwwww.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i say its wrong its llike your treating your kid like a dog but i agree it seems it would help alot but then again someone at a flea market or crowded places can just get a pair of siccors or somthing so its not as safe as hold a hand or carryingh i to get tempted to buy it just so se wont runn away from me but i just woldnt feel right
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 4:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I did-better safe than stolen!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I would never humiliate my child by treating him like an animal. He listens to me and holds my hand when we go walking places. I discipline my kids.
    lil_ma08

Answer by lil_ma08 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I discipline my two year old, but it doesn't stop him from running away from me or climbing up a two story deck and trying to climb over the rail. That happened yesterday. He was only on step two when I started chasing after him and he is just too fast for me. I am going to have to buy one a.s.a.p. It was 80 and sunny and we couldn't go outside bc he just runs away from me(he thinks its a game sometimes). Before I had kids I couldn't believe parents would leash their children and were treating them like animals! But now I know it's necessary sometimes. And hey, I don't even leash my dog on walks... I wonder what ppl are going to say when I walk by with my kid on the leash and my dog wo one!!
    Anonymous

• I have and would again! My kid is a runner, he runs off randomly and he is very fast. He's short too so you can't see him over countertops and what not. He doesn't like it much but I originally bought it to take on a trip to Africa. Well I ended up alone with him for hours in an airport so I had to put the leash on so I could drag the carry on and the car seat.
    xmum

Answer by xmum at 5:04 PM on Apr. 24, 2009