• In the Spotlight:

Do you believe that you need you time in order to be a good mom?

I dont. I keep getting told that but I know I can handle my dd and I absolutely love being her mother. I dont want to go and do stuff without her just to make me a better mom, I feel I will be a better mom if I was with her to show her things instead of not being with her. How do you feel about this question? It may be true for some mothers but I just dont think its true for me!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• p.s. the mothers that have told me this wouldnt even be in the running for best mom in my book.
    Anonymous

• YOU DO NEED A BREAK EVERY NOW AND THEN EVEN IF ITS JUST ONE HOUR OF ALONE TIME WHILE SOMEONE YOU TRUST WATCHES HER(SO YOU CAN HAVE SOME ALONE TIME),BUT AS FOR GOING OUT EVERY WEEKEND AND LEAVING YOUR CHILD FOR DAYS ....ITS VERY UNNECESSARY! I REALLY DON'T THINK LEAVING YOUR CHILD MAKES YOU A "BETTER MOM"!

ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 4:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I need my time to recharge my batteries so I can be the best mom I can.What good am I to my family if I'm all worn out?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I do need me time. Even if it's a shower by myself without my son in the room. He's almost 10 weeks old so maybe I'm still adjusting to this mommyhood thing lol. But a good 10 minutes where his daddy takes him so I can have a peaceful shower is absolutely wonderful.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I don't believe a person should lose themselves completley to anyone else, even your children. It is important to have time to yourself, we are adults, they are children, different ages, different interests. Everyone needs some "me" time, even kids.
    wearygram

Answer by wearygram at 4:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• in respnse to vicki: I dont mean it that way. I've been told that I need to go have fun and have a social life to be a good mom. like going to the movies or something, which I'd rather stay home or take dd to the park!
    Anonymous

• I get this all the time also. People are constantly telling me you need to go out see a movie, have some dinner, blah blah blah.

But what I really want to do is take my boys somewhere they think is cool. If I were to go out without them I would love to go out with my hubby. It is very rare that I get to go out with him alone. Otherwise I just really don't want to do anything else.

I am the same way as you ; )
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 5:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Having mommy time is also beneficial to your children. It opens them up to different opportunities. The way you play or teach your child may be different than someone else, in a good way.
    Whether it's you going out for a coffee with a girlfriend or dinner with your honey. You and your child may become dependant on eachother. It's not bad to feel that you don't need a break. It's not fair to other mom's to say that they shouldn't.
    Imagine if you put everything into your child how empty do you think your nest will feel when they move out, or start school if you have nothing of your own. Also think how hard it will be for your child when they need to go out into the world if they think that you are the only one who is capable or able to care for them and help them.
    Take a moment for yourself, if not for you, for your child.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• OP: ooooh lol hmmmm....I don't think I have any kind of of me time then lol. Wait wait...it does take me an hour to get to and from work??? lol If you feel like your going nuts then gets some you time. I do agree with the poster that said "different ages, different intrests" though. But seeing how my son is so little...he's only interested in food and sleep. And both of those sound good to me.

All in all, if you're happy then let it be. If you want SOME me time then go for it and don't feel guilty about it. Afterall, aren't we more then JUST "mommy"?
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I guess it depends on the woman. Personally, I do need my "Me Time". I don't see that as a bad thing. I feel that I can regroup and be more refreshed as a mother.

More importantly, I'd love for DH and I to have "Couple Time" :) To me, you need to spend time together, away from kids, to keep your relationship strong. You don't to end up like those couples that get divorced after their kids are grown and out of the house because they "don't know eachother anymore", kwim?
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2009