• In the Spotlight:

WHAT KIND OF LOVE IS THIS?? (FOR CHRISTIANS)

AFTER READING SOME OF THE COMMENTS THAT WERE LEFT BY SOME CHRISTIAN MOTHERS ON THE SUBJECT "IF THEIR CHILD WERE GAY" I AM REALLY CONFUSED. A LOT OF THE RESPONSES WERE, I WOULD LOVE MY CHILD NO MATTER WHAT, ACTUALLY MOST OF THEM WERE, BUT SOME OF THE RESPONSES WERE, I WOULD LOVE MY CHILD BUT SINCE I DON'T APPROVE OF THE LIFESTYLE I WOULD NOT ALLOW THEIR PARTNER OR THEIR LIFESTYLE IN MY HOUSE.

SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE A PARENTS APPROVAL AND INVOLVEMENT ON A GAY CHILDS LIFE IS IMPERATIVE TO THEIR WELL BEING, THEY NEED TO FEEL THE LOVE NOT JUST TOLD AND THEM EXCLUDED FROM YOUR LIVES. YOU MIGHT AS WELL TURN YOUR BACK ON THEM IF YOU ARE GOING TO EXCLUDE THEM FROM PARTICIPATING IN YOUR LIFE. SO MY QUESTION IS LADIES, WHAT KIND OF LOVE IS THIS? CERTAINLY NOT UNCONDITIONAL!

Asked by older at 4:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • While, no I don't approve of that lifestyle choice, I would never ban my child from my home,and I guess if that meant them bringing a partner in, I would allow it. I would however, pray very hard for God to lead my child out of that lifestyle choice,and back to the way He made them. Because, say whatever you want, if God had intended for that to be accepted, He would have made us that way. He didn't,and speaks very firmly against it, so it's not acceptable. I don't hate gay people, but just like all sin, I hate the sin. Just as I hate the sins I committ,as well.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I COMPLETELY AGREE, JUST BECAUSE YOUR CHILD DOES SOMETHING YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN OR LIKE DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD JUST SHUT THEM OUT OF YOUR LIFE...THAT CAUSES MORE DAMAGE!

ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 4:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• AMEN to that!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 4:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I don't think this has anything to do with Christianity. I am a Christian and I really don't like it when people base their entire opinion and views of Christianity on some people's views. I didn't read particular Q&A in question, but I'll tell you I wouldn't care one way or another. I care if my child is happy, healthy, with a partner that loves, respects and treats them well. I am a Christian. I don't have an opinion on homosexuality one way or another. People are people. How you feel about something is an opinion. I'm sure these people would have these opinions no matter what their beliefs. There are bad/mean/judgmental people in all walks of life. Some of the most judgmental people I know are non-Christian. They go around judging Christians all the time.
    jenlenr

Answer by jenlenr at 4:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Work on yourself. God loves your son unconditionaly.It doesn't mean God okays his lifestyle, because He doesn't. Just means that God loves him anyways,waiting with open arms to embrace him again...

Are you looking for an understanding answer ? Because you will only get an answer if your looking for one. :)
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I am a Christian, and I commented on that question so I know what you are talking about. I believe in the Bible, and my husband and I have chosen to make our home one that glorifies the Lord. But, if my daughter was a lesbian I would not exclude her or her partner from us. I think the only reason I would exclude anyone is if they were a jerk or abusive. But even then, would that help my daughter at all.

My daughter has her own mind and the right to her own life. When she grows up she might go any number of directions. But she will always be welcome here and she will always be my treasured gift from God. That doesn't mean I will always agree with her, or that I won't worry. But I also don't think nagging her or trying to control her will do anyone any good.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• AMBER012005, WHAT I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND FROM THE RESPONSES IN THE OTHER JOURNAL WAS THAT THEY SAID THEY LOVED THEIR CHILD BUT THEY WOULD NEVER ACCEPT THEIR LIFESTYLE OR PARTNER, SO IN OTHER WORDS, I WAS CONFUSED, HOW CAN YOU LOVE SOMEONE AND EXCLUDE THEM FROM YOUR LIFE BECAUSE OF THEIR LIFESTYLE. MIND YOU THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME I HEAR THIS COMING FROM SOME CHRISTIANS, I AM NOT GENERALIZING HERE. I HAVE ALSO SEEN CHRISTIANS TURN THEIR BACK ON THEIR OFFSPRING FOR THE SAKE OF HOLINESS, HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE?

Answer by older at 5:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I completely agree with you OP!!!
    there is NOTHING my child could do that would make me turn away from him or make him (or anyone he cares about) unwelcome in my home. he is my child and regardless of whatever decisions he makes, i am the only mother he'll ever have - i don't want to miss a minute of being there for him!!!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• STYMEN88, GOD DID MAKE GAYS THAT WAY, THIS IS WHY SO IMPORTANT TO ACCEPT THEM. MY DAUGHTER WAS BORN THIS WAY AND IT DEVELOPED DURING PUBERTY.

Answer by older at 5:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Please everyone stop acting like all Christians, Muslims, atheists, agnostics, pagans...are all the same. Everyone is different and no one follows their belief systems 100% because no one is perfect.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2009