Would this not totally tick you off?!?!?

I do not believe in God. I am not religious. My inlaws are so-called-Christians, yet the biggest hypocritical, racist, snobby a--holes I know.

So my MIL decides to start buying my 3-1/2 year old son videos to watch, cartoons and crap. Anyhow, the first one was this Veggietales one. I always thought Veggietales seemed cool even though I really hadn't watched them before. So I'm sitting here working and he's watching this Veggietales movie and all of a sudden I here crap about praying and praise the lord and shit?!!? Then she got him another one which was waaaayyy sappier and like god this, god that, I got God and all that shit. It pisses me off that she does this! And my son freaking loves these videos, but he knows nothing about "so-called-God." Would you be mad? It's not her place in my opinion!

Your thoughts? Remaining anonymous so I don't get "stalked."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know I already answered this question but I feel like you're being attacked for your religion or lack there of (whichever way it's said). Regardless of what you belive or don't or what your DH does or doesn't believe it is YOUR desicion on how to educate or even mention other belief systems to your child. I don't think you're upset about the relgious aspect of it but more the disrespect shown by your MIL since she knows how you feel. She should leave the relgious/spiritual/belief education to you and your husband. I still think you should talk to her. Maybe "I appreciate the gift, however, I feel like he should be learning about different options from his father and I"???? just a thought. And best of luck
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Wow! How awful! Your mother in law wants her precious grandson to learn about God's love! Well, I just say we take her out and throttle her! *rolls eyes*.
    Anonymous

• My opinion is her heart is in the right place. If it bothers you that much tell her so, NICELY. If she keeps giving them to him just throw them out when you get home or give them away. Also, I personally monitor very closely what my children watch...if they get a new movie I watch it before they do so I can decide if it's the type of thing I want them to see, maybe try that next time and you wouldn't have to worry about him liking them when it's something you don't want him to watch.
    Anonymous

• I would be mad. I think you need to sit her down and have a discussion about the kinds of things you'd like your son to know and be watching. I'm not religious and my in laws (and DH) are. They would like him to be baptised (sp?) I do not want him to be. I think it's pushing religion on someone who has no ability at this point and time to make that descision on thier own. Stand up for what you believe in and how you want your son raised. I'm sure it won't stop at video's if you don't speak your piece.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Yes, I would.
    That is completely disrespectful of her concerning your beliefs and the way you want to raise your child.
    Anonymous

• If she knows your beliefs and feelings toward the matter, then you have every right to be upset. I would tell her not to buy these types of videos for your son again. I wouldn't let my son watch that stuff even if I believed in "God" because I wouldn't want someone or something else pushing ideas on him. Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

• Anon, (the first reply), what if your in-laws taught YOUR kid about the love of.....oh, say, Odin behind your back? I don't think you'd have the same reaction.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I THINK SHE SHOULD RESPECT YOUR BELIEFS ,BUT I WOULDN'T THINK NOTHING OF IT ....IF YOUR CHILD ENJOYS IT LET HIM WATCH IT .....WE DON'T TEACH MY DD WHAT SANTA CLAUS IS BUT SHE LOVES WATCHING THE CARTOONS SHE JUST THINKS OF HIM AS A CHARACTER LIKE DORA OR WHOMEVER ELSE!

ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I would think that he is too young to really understand the meaning of them and just thinks they are awesome because they are cartoons. I say let him watch them, even if you don't believe in God. What's wrong with him just watching them because he likes the characters? As far as mil, I think if you act like you are upset about it, it just adds fuel to her fire. Even if you are pissed, never let her know or she has gotten what she was wanting....to piss you off.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I have to say that I don't think it was appropriate for her to give him religious material without discussing your feelings first. I would talk to her about it.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2009