Breast Feeding

I am almost 7 months pregnant and plan to breast feed. I am a large busted girl. I am hearing mixed reactions to the breast feeding. Most of it is that I am way to large to do it and I would suffocate the baby. I also plan to pump, but want to at least try. Am I worrying for nothing? Any other big boobie mamas out there? : )

anerd05

Asked by anerd05 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breast size has little to do with milk supply. You may have issues with the pump though. Get one that fits you.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I'm a 34 F and have successfully breastfed my child for going on 2 years now. Don't listen to those people. Get in touch with a lactation consultant or your local LLL.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 5:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I have never heard such a thing! i mean your kid isnt going to shove your whole boob in their mouth so whats the problem. Gosh things that people come up with these days. If you feel comfortable with doing it then i say do it!
    SRmommyoftheyr

Answer by SRmommyoftheyr at 5:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Hi, please DO NOT worry!!! Get a boppy pillow it helps with trying different possitions for both you and your little bundle of joy for comfortable position! I am a D cup and swelled durring and after precnancy. Tip # 1 for engorgement: HOT compress and or HOT shower and massage gently and express what you can. Tip # 2: when engorgement eases, when you are NOT breast feeding pump the milk and store it if you desire(in the freezer last up to 3 months!). Tip # 3: to keep engorgement from occuring follow step # 2!!!! Tip # 4 be sure to alternate( 15-20 min each side)!!!Now if you are worried about suffocation gently press with first two fingers above the babies nose on the breast around the outer ring of the nipple but becareful not to put too much pressure that the nipple pops out of the mouth(causes frustration to the baby! This idea about the fingers is from personal experiance and my bd.). I hope this was helpful!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I'm a J cup, and have had no issues related to the size of my breasts.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• That's just a stupid thing to say. I am a F cup and my only problem was my stubborn baby. My entire family (Grandma, aunts, mom, female cousins, etc.) and everyone told me that it is harder to nurse when you are small chested because there is not much there. My only advice would be to be prepared for it not to just happen because most times it takes a little work and a lot of patience. Good luck to you and ignore the negative comments they will be no help to you!
    Anonymous

• Remember it is your decision to breastfeed. Now is a great time to start getting used to ignoring unasked for advice. You will get lots of it. One of my favorites: put a jacket on that baby, I'm cold!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• There is no such thing as having boobs too big to breastfeed. I highly recommend giving it your best try. The benefits to both you and your baby are enormous. It will save you lots of money on formula, too! There are so many groups on this site to help soon-to-be Moms with the decision to breastfeed. Find one and start asking questions there. You will find support and a lot of very useful information.

Moonrush

Answer by Moonrush at 6:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• OMG people are such idiots. You are in no way too big and you will NOT suffocate your child. You will have to do things differently as far as positioning then a small chested woman, but that it about it. You may need larger sized horns for pumping too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My mom had huge breasts when she breastfed us. She found it easier to use the football hold. I would try that!
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 8:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2009