I feel as a parent to a hyperactive child who's exhibiting signs of ADHD to be put in a class where they deal with kids like my son who's 4 years old and probably will not function with regular kids,what do you think because I know how I feel?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 5:33 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i think you should talk to the school and ask them what options they have for him. if you feel its best for him to be in a special class then thats what should happen. good luck to you momma =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 5:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• 4 is a bit young to determine if your child has ADHD. Why would you want your child excluded from other kids because he may have ADHD? What is a "regular" kid anyway? Don't sell your kid short, you'd be surprised how kids act when they arent' around their parents. Don't make your kid feel like they aren't "regular".

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I think that it is great that you are thinking ahead. You need to work on a couple things.
    First diet: fish oil supplements can be incredibly beneficial to kids with attention issues. www.feingold.org is where you will find information on foods that can affect behavior.
    Next, you need to find someone who will help your son learn to turn his ADD/ADHD into a benefit. Nationally syndicated radio host Thom Harttmann has written extensively on this: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. I highly recommend that you find his books at the library and start educating yourself

Answer by rkoloms at 7:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• As the parent of a kid who has been diagnosed, I'm offended. Why can't an ADHD kid function with "regular" kids? I think your mindset is going to hold your kid back in life. This is the same kid in your other post who you don't make behave and who you let stay up late and sleep until the afternoon?

When does he go to school? Evenings?

I hate to tell you this, but I've never heard of school classes just for ADHD kids.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon 5:35. You will be holding your kid back in life if you separate him from the other kids simply because he has ADHD. Talk to your school, they have likely been working with children with ADHD for years with positive results.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 1:10 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• If you feel that your son id ADHD, you need to talk to your doctor. He/she can recommend someone who can determine if your child is ADHD or ADD and they can recommend the correct medication. My brother was 12 before he was diagnosed with both and he had an extreme difficulty in school. Be fair to your son. Don't just assume. I know I say the same thing about my 3 year old, but everyone tells me he is a boy and this is their nature. Also, he can function in a normal classroom setting. Don't sell him short just because he might be ADHD. Also, does the class get to be active? Do they get to move alot? If he has a lot of built up energy, this might be oart if his probelm.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 1:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• First off your son is 4, and an accurate behavioral disorder can't be given yet, and any doctor that does isn't a good one. Second, he can function with regular children. ADHD at this age in my opinion seems like an excuse for a lazy parent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I have adhd .. i had it bad in school ..soo my mom put me and special classes and i hated it cuz i never got popular and everyone thought i was a retard .. i was soo mad .. but in class i couldnt concentrate at all .. it sucks having it cuz im still the same .. i think i have the worst add that i know .. but yeh anyways i dont know if u should put him in those classes cuz people are going to make fun of him... and being hurt like that as a kid it reallllllly was the worst .. but if he needs a good education i say go for it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:55 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I say give him a chance first. My ds has ODD and poss. ADHD. He can drive me batty at home, but at school he's a teacher's pet. We'll be homeschooling next year, because of school safety we live in a not so good area and cannot transport to a different school, not my son, but right now he does fantastic.
    southernwldchld

Answer by southernwldchld at 5:37 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• ADHD is no reason to push him off to another class. He should be expected to function w/ everybody else. Anyway, he is too young to be labeled ADHD. Hello, they are 4 year olds. I am sorry, classes for 4 year olds where they are expected to sit, learn and write is silly. They are meant to be playing not locked down in a chair in a high pressured learning environment. Don't label your son yet. Let him play and get that energy out. 4 year olds are supposed to be moving. He is supposed to PLAY, PLAY, PLAY!
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:02 AM on Apr. 25, 2009