Catholic vs. Orthodox.

I am catholic, and have been my whole life. My SO is Orthodox, and has been his whole life. He comes from a Serbian family. I come from an Italian family. Both cultures are very involved in their religions. We talked it out, and I told him he could have the baptism of our kids in his religion as long as I don't have to have my wedding in his church. I picked my 3 sisters to be the godmothers. In his church, they don't allow family, but close friends instead, be the godparents. I don't want anyone, but my sisters to be the godmothers. He said we can try a different church of his religion. We haven't found one that will let my sisters be the godmothers. Am I being unfair thinking that we should do it in my religion and in my family church since his did not work out? Suggestions please.

ArtisticHPfan

Asked by ArtisticHPfan at 5:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not Catholic, but I'm throwing something out there in hopes that it helps...

Even if his type of church doesn't 'allow' family to be godparents, can you not have your sisters be the godparents anyway while still attending the church? I understand sometimes a ceremony accompanies the naming of the godparents. If so, could this be done at your church and then continue to worship/attend his church?

Anyway, i believe that you have tried to fulfill your end of the arrangement, but since have been unsucsessful in finding a church that agrees with letting your sisters be godparents; you do have a right to suggest an alteration of the agreement.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• As long as he's okay with it, I don't think its unfair - would you consider switching with him, getting married in his church and having the baptism/s at yours?
    I know that there are differences between Catholic and Orthodox churches (papal authority, iconography, and so on), but they aren't TOO different, so you should be able to work something out!
    You just need to talk to your SO and figure out what he's comfortable with - this is what makes a marriage, lol - talking to each other and working through this kind of thing.
    Best of luck to you, though, and I am sure your wedding (and the baptism/s) is(are) going to be beautiful!!!
    =D
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Have you looked into a Serbian Catholic church? They are Catholic but practice in the Byzantine rite which has the same liturgy as the Orthodox. Best of both worlds!!
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 6:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2009