what should i do about my 5 yr old?

He is only in pre-k and got suspended from school for one day. i'm 8 months pregnant & ever since i told him about him being a big brother it's bothered him. he's been acting out ever since. i'm really running out of options & seriously don't know what to do. i need some advice so if there's anyone out there with any words of wisdom please share.....

kasey26526

Asked by kasey26526 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You are the mother! Put your foot down, and show him who is the boss! Tell him that his behavior is unacceptable, and you are not going to put up with it. Otherwise, it will continue, and you will be in a world of trouble!
    Anonymous

• He acts out, he goes in time out...plain and simple. He gets out and acts up, he goes back in time out, he gets out and acts up, he goes back in time out.....

There should be NO excuse for acting out.

He is definitely old enough to know what behaviors are acceptable and what are not.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i work with this age group at a local daycare center, and i see this just about everyday an also with my very own son. yeah you can keep putting him in time out and blah blah blah, and so on. get down to the childs level....TALK TO HIM NOT AT HIM.... ask him how he feels about the new baby thing, yeah its going to be like pulling teeth to see how he feels; just let him know that you are there to listen to what HE has to say. and let him know that HE IS GOING TO BE A BIG BROTHER and that he has to be able to show his baby brother or sister how to act and how to be a big kid like him. Involve him and the preping for the baby. let him help you with setting up and finalizing everything. just keep praising him for the good and just redirect him. and like TICCLEDBLUE said let him know that it is NOT ACCETABLE and it hurts you and makes you sad when he don't make good choices....hope this helps....
    msangie2003

Answer by msangie2003 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My 5 year old is still jealous of the twins who are 2. I tried icluding her but she has the middle child syndrom!!!! What I find helps the most, but will be difficult for you for the first 2-4 months, is making time for me and her. We do what she wants while the twins are napping. For now you really need to find common ground, find out whats really eating at him and I'll bet he's afraid of being replaced! Its easy to be an only child(my 8 yr old wishes she was!), but that world is altered and or changed but can be fixed. Simply remind him that he will always be your baby and that you have enough love to share that you were blessed with another version of his dad. What I tell my girls is that there are 4 chambers of the heart that make it work and pump blood through out the body, well you 4 are my heart chambers and without any 1 of you I could not be healthy or ok, but I have enough love to give all of you. We are close!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2009