I'm having trouble getting my 4 year old son on a schedule and has been since he was 2 years old. He goes to sleep late at night and wakes up late in the afternoon,his appetite is crazy too also he doesn't know how to behave at home or outdoors.Parents hate him because he's active but he's just a kid who loves to play and have fun but I can understand where they're coming from,does anybody else feel the same way I do?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 5:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've had trouble trying to get my 15 month on a schedule. When he starts school do you think that will make things better or worse? I mean eventually he'll have to get into some sort of routine right?
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I have a 4-year old (and an 8-year old - both boys) and I'm telling you from personal experience, you need to get into a predictable, consistent routine. It will be hard at first, but the longer you wait, the harder it will become.

Start with a bedtime routine. A reasonable time for a 4-year old to go to bed is 8:30. So, at 7:30, make sure that dinner is done, the tv is off, the house is quiet and dimly lit. 7:30 is a great time to take a warm, relaxing bath. Make it fun with bubbles and toys and bath crayons and whatnot. If you have some lavender oil, add a few drops to the tub as it will help to relax him. Let him take about 30 minutes in the tub - long enough to get raisin-toes! When he gets out and dries off, have him brush his teeth and then follow you into his dimly-lit bedroom for a good story. If he's afraid of the dark, make sure he has a night light. You can even lie down with him for a few minutes (cont..
    Moonrush

Answer by Moonrush at 6:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• of relaxing breathing. When you leave his room , you will know that you've covered all your bases. At this point, you cannot relent. He very well may test you for a few hours with screaming and crying and getting out of bed. Just very calmly go into his room without turning on the light or raising your voice, and place him back in his bed. Do this for a few nights (a week should have you both getting used to it) and you will find that dealing with his behavior issues during the day may become much more manageable. Good luck!

Moonrush

Answer by Moonrush at 6:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It will be rough, but stop letting him sleep so late. Get him up at what you consider to be a decent hour and start the day. Keep him busy...play at the park, shopping, running outside, whatever. Then put him to bed at a what you consider a decent hour. It will probably take a couple of days. You're the parent, he doesn't run the house! Well, he shouldn't anyway.

As for him not knowing how to behave...that was YOUR job as a parent to teach him. There is a difference between a kid who loves to play and have fun and one who has never been taught how to behave or anything about consequences.
    Anonymous

• Figure out a good wake up time for him and get him out of bed at that time every morning. Even weekends. Get him into sunshine or very bright lights for at least 15 minutes within an hour of waking.
    Figure out a good bedtime based on his needing 11 to 13 hours of sleep each day. Keep an eye on him as bedtime gets closer. If he starts acting grouchy or extra wild, your bedtime is too late. Try half hour earlier the next day. Once he is in bed, he stays there. This can be a battle but it must be done. Do not talk to him, do not bed or plead. Simply pick him up, put him back in bed, and leave - all without saying a word. Do this as many times as needed each night until he gets the point. I have heard of parents doing this over 50 times the first night. But it gets better and is needed!
    If he acts up out in public, put him in time out right there, even in the park.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2009