Imbred dogs???

Yesturday while dh and I were at his cuz's house we brought our dog to play with hers. We were talking to her about how we need to get the papers for him and she told us she doesn't think we will be able to. We were curious as to why...and she told us that the dogs parents are also brother and sister. They were not from the same litter but they still had the same mom and dad. What do you think of that? IF that all is true? We still love our dog no matter what even if we can't get papers, and we haven't had any health issues. Could that cause health issues? But after we heard that it made sence because another dog from the same litter as ours has health issues, well I heard he has ceizures not sure if it's a coincidence or not. We paid like 300 or maybe it was 400 for our dog. The other person (also family) paid 200 and i'm not sure why. Anyways, what would you do if you found something like that out? The breeder is DH's aunt

maderacaligirl

Asked by maderacaligirl at 5:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pets

• When buying your dog were you told it was going to be papered. Personally I would be mad if I wasn't told all the facts about a dog I was purchasing. Sorry I don't know how it works with papering dogs, but do you know if both parents are papered.
    Anonymous

• most dogs are inbred, thats how they keep the blood lines going. it will cause health problems though.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 6:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Yes both parents are paped and she gave us the number of both parents to we can get our puppys papers.
    maderacaligirl

Answer by maderacaligirl at 9:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i just heard from a breeder that were buying our puppy from that most of the time the health issues arise when you breed son to mother but daughter to father and brother to sister is ok. although these of one of those that there aren't any true facts about cause i think it changes every few yrs what the standard is. some vets say it's ok and others will say no. personally i like to start with a fresh line of unrelated dogs. although you never really know unless they are papered cause i could go look for a dog to breed with mine and for all i know one day back several yrs back it was related to my dogs brother or sister or what not. get what i mean. i would try to get at least the papers and if you dog is healthy now it should stay that way but avoid breeding with any relatives cause the next batch may not turn out so great. this happened with sil and mil. dog had puppy one died the other has bad eyes and stupid.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• What you are talking about, and calling inbred is actually called line breeding by the careful breeders of purebred dogs. It is not detrimental to the health of the dog that is line bred. It "fixes" a trait, like color, or conformation or temperament. For instance if a certain breed tends to be yappy, and there isa family of these dogs that are not yappy, they will breed (carefully) members of this family together to improve the breed and "fix" the less yappy gene into future dogs of that breed. There is nothing on earth about line breeding that will prevent you from getting your dog papered. There may be other issues, but line breeding or inbreeding as you call it, is not an issue with dogs. (Or pedigree cats either, for that matter.)
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all the opinions. Honestly though I am more concerned about his health, but he isn't showing any signs of being sick...I wouldn't be able to afford it if he got sick...and DH's cousin said we wont be able to get his papers...but figured I would try anyways...well thanks for answering my question about it.
    maderacaligirl

Answer by maderacaligirl at 2:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Tell your DH's cousin that he is an idiot. Dogs are not people! Inbreeding doesn't hurt them unless it is done continously and carelessly for generation after generation. If your dog's sire and dam were both AKC registered members of the same breed, your dog can be papered too. No matter if they were related to each other or how.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:53 AM on Apr. 26, 2009