Flat Iron Questions...

I had my hair done today, something I don't do very often at all so it was nice, and the girl straightened it when she was all done. I really like how that looks so I think I'm going to buy my own flat iron. So I'm wondering...

Are there things I should look for when I'm shopping for one, settings etc.? Or are they all pretty much the same? When I get one is there something I should put in my hair before I straighten it or is it ok to just do it to plain dry hair? I'm clueless on this kind of thing so anything you ladies can tell me would be helpful. Thanks!!

whittear

Asked by whittear at 5:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• i use a wide one but i have alot of hair & it don't leave a line..... like cynprz said, get a ceramic one and you can get an anti frizz serum to put on ur hair if you want :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Try buying a ceramic one. I think they all pretty much have a ceramic heating plate. I would buy the inch width one instead of the wider ones, the wider ones tend to leave a line in your hair. But if you have longer hair then I would go with the wider one and just try not to press to hard on the straighter because then you will leave a line. They sell all kinds of hair products you can use in your hair before and after you straighten your hair. They all pretty much do same thing, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend good luck.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 6:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• You can buy pretty much any one for your first one. some work better on some peoples hair that dont work good on others. you can definitely just straighten it dry. no problem with that. quick and easy i blow dry my hair and use my vidal sasson straightner. ive had it for about three years or so and it STILL works amazing. its worked on everyones hair that ive used it on. its all black and has gold plates on it, i dont think they are real gold or anything, but it works wonders and its really quick! it didnt cost much either. MAYBE thirty bucks. =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 6:11 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Thanks ladies, I do have very long and thick hair so those tips are very helpful!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 6:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I want to caution you about one thing...if you have a wavy hair or any type of curl, you will have to go to the hottest settings and use straightener. I have wavy hair, so I'm speaking from experience! Somehow doing it at home, my hair doesn't want to come out as straight as in the salon - maybe because I don't want to take the time to do it all piece by little piece, and then it looks frizzy or it starts to volume out and still wants to curl up on the ends. Get the cream, high heat and take your time!
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 9:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Thanks Tikigoddess, that's another issue I have with my hair!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 9:18 AM on Apr. 25, 2009