Alright moms...we need help,advice,any info you might know!

Ok my friend has a 3 month old daughter! They are at this moment at the doctors right now because of a bad ...diaper rash(which also includes blisters) ouch?! They took her to the emergency a week ago for it and was told it was a ..yeast infection?! It had healed up & noow its back! Her diet consists of just milk (formula) & water!what could this be and what could have caused it???!!!!!

v_serenil

Asked by v_serenil at 6:29 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sitting in a dirty diaper... scented wipes??
    Anonymous

• the same thing happened to my daughter. we tried everything, it turned out to be the diapers she was wearing. I changed to the safeway brand, and it hasn't happened since. Try it.
    casd

Answer by casd at 6:33 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• OK thanks moms! I will pass on the advice!!!
    v_serenil

Answer by v_serenil at 6:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• try cloth diapers! honest! my son had bad bum rash then we switched to cloth and no more rash!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• my three kids have had so many variations of diaper rash I can't count that high. it all depnds on the acidity of the urine and what degree of good health, if at all, the diaper area is in for a rash to grow or a rash to grow further. I've used desitin, zinc oxide, prescription monitstat, over the counter monistat, kitchen corn starch, power corn starch. the list goes on. the bottom and front area are always kept covered probably a bit more than 22 hours a day, think about it. once a rash starts if it doesn't get the right medicine for that particular time right away it grows out of bounds. Sweat is added to the bottom and front, remember too. I'd just keep a batch of what has worked and give it a try for a bit each time a new rash comes up. Oh and putting vaseline on a clear bottom and front when there is no rash at all help the pee and poo to roll right off those parts.
    Poor baby, hope she's better soon!
    Anonymous

• The causes of yeast infection in babies and toddlers often have to do with the warm, moist environment that is favored by yeast infections. Diapers give these infections an ideal setting in which to thrive. These children can also get thrush, a yeast infection of the mouth, and it can travel through the digestive system to the diaper area. Thrush is often caused by the use of antibiotics and may be further fostered by practices such as thumb sucking. The only thing that can be done in any of these instances besides treatment after the fact is to use good diaper-changing habits and try to discourage thumb sucking.

HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 6:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• wow HannahLee87 I never knew about thumbsucking, is that because the mouth is closed around the thumb for so long plus thumbs get into so much stuff being used? Thanks for the tip!!
    Anonymous

• Baths should be just wam water; you can use olive oil for the "crusties". Instead of wipes, use washclothes and warm water, again, use olive oil if necessary. Switch to cloth diapers; they can be found on freecycle, ebay, thrift shops, or you can make your own.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Thumb sucking has nothing to do with a yeast diaper rash.

It could be wipes, the soap, the diapers, anything coming into contact with her little tush. My niece went through 5 different brands before they found one that didn't make her break out in a nasty rash! (blistery!)

It could be a reaction to her formula (but...that one might be reaching)

Soak her in a tub with warm water and baking soda at least once (preferrably twice) a day.
    Three times a day put Lotrimin AF (but get the okay from the doc because of her age)
    Every diaper change other than the Lotrimin, put on a barrier cream (we used A&D)
    Bump up how often she is changed, do not let her sit wet.
    No wipes. Use only a cloth with water.
    Air as much as possible.

That's what our pediatrician had us do when the boys each had their diaper rash (we were lucky, they've each only had one!)

This also works with my second son's citrus reac
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• if she was putting cream on the rash she could be allergic to it, or have super senitive skin, my daughter was like that, i can only use pure cornstarch on her bottom, works everytime
    Anonymous