is private school better

then public school in teaching circulim? Teachers keep saying in public school that they have so much to teach in so little time. I'm considering private school what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• no!
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 7:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Yes.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:10 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I think it all depends on the school and the area.
    Anonymous

• private school curriculam is usually more advanced than public
    but some public schools are great and some suck and same for private
    depends on the school and the kid what is best.
    i did resently transfer my son to private and it was the best thing i could have done, but his public was horrible, i have even been to the school board about it
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• This is not a yes or not question. It depends on the school and the kid. If you are in Chicago, I will be happy to discuss CPS options with you, and help you work your way through the system and get your kid into a wonderful school

Answer by rkoloms at 7:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It depends on the school. I went to a private high school that was much better than the public one in my area. Private schools have control over who attends. So they generally have less behavior problems and higher achieving students. Therefor they can accelerate the curriculum.

On the other hand, private school teachers get paid far less than public school teachers. Several teachers who were asked to leave the school where I work for under performance now teach at a private school in the area.

You need to look into all the schools you have near you and choose what's best for your children.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Not necessarily. It depends on the school, teachers and area. Private and public schools still have to meet certain state and federal guidelines of skills and knowledge that have to be met. In my district, there really is no difference. If anything, the public schools seem to be more advanced.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My experience is that you must become a curriculum critic and do your homework. I have had my kids in public and private school and the choices were made based on curriculum. But honestly, I got so frustrated with unchallenging and "dumbed down" teaching methods that I decided to homeschool.

By far, it is the best choice I have made. If you are a stay at home mom, consider it. And if you have questions about it, please email me.
    kimbaustin

Answer by kimbaustin at 11:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It all depends really. My oldest son was in a private school for almost 2 years. It worked great at first but ended up not being the best thing and he went back to public. I eventually found out that most were NOT certified teachers! They're actually classroom monitors. They DON'T teach your children- they give the kids the work and the kids work at their own pace. They do NOT stand in front of the class and "teach" because every student is at a different level. We also found out the diploma he'd of gottin from the private school was NOTHING but a piece of paper. He has plans to go in the Marines and they don't even accept that type of diploma so he'd of had to do some kind of continuing education before they would accept him. If he had wanted to go to a University, he'd have to do 2 years of a community college first. It all really depends on the schools and what they offer.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:43 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Our son went to private school until 8th grade come to find out most of the teachers were not certified. He then struggled to catch up because he was behind. So I guess it depends on the school. Good luck.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 6:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2009