A real self-esteem killer...

On my father's side of the family, I have four sisters. One of them dresses very nice, drives an expensive vehicle and has another vehicle and motorcycle. She has no children. My grandmother kisses her a$$ when she comes around and she doesn't even like my grandmother. When I come around, before she would make comments about my weight (she even started so soon as 3 days after I had my son) and she certainly didn't make a big deal about my mediocre outfits. My father I hear calls her the "rich" daughter. She and I are fine but I know she loves that attention. They would never treat her as they have treated me before, though they've also helped me before when I couldn't pay for something. It hurts and it pisses me off because I already feel I've screwed a lot of things up and should be further than I am. I do have my own place for my family and we are okay. Not rich but I do okay. It really pisses me off though. Wouldn't it you?

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• Just write them off as jerks and see them when the time is right for your kids and your situation. don't be angry at them, it's not worth it. Just go on with your life that you are worthy of and see them in public and for short times to decrease mistreatment of you.
    Anonymous

• Why should this bother you? You have beautiful children and you are providing for them. That costs money! You would never trade your children for a motorcycle, and that bike isn't going to visit her in the old folks home! Your job is raising those kids. She, sadly, doesn't have the pleasure. :( I sort of feel sorry for her, to tell you the truth. Tell your kids Auntie needs a lot of hugs, she's all alone.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Nah.. I outgrew that stuff along time ago. I will tell you what works though.. MOVING.. I moved away from that family stuff. UGH. I am so glad!
    Anonymous

• Me too anon :17. I love my family but there are some who get special treatment like that. Yeppers I moved thousands of miles away and I am so happy I did
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I know exactly how you feel...my family can be really rude they love to smile in your face and talk shit behind your back. I agree with Trixiebell.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 7:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It bothers me because I have a serious problem with favoritism. I am providing for my child and you all are right, that does cost and more than just money! It just pisses me off and when I do get to where I have more money, watch who'll be kissing whose ass then. THEN I'm moving!
    His_Mommy26

Answer by His_Mommy26 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I was the little sister who was always a day late and a dollar short but you know what? I like me. I did ok. I reared 3 kids alone. I'm a good person. I believe in me. I can't worry about how others perceive me or my siblings. Just be the best you that you can be and be happy with yourself. Don't let them dole out your self esteem. Build it up yourself and they can't take it away from you

Answer by admckenzie at 7:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Are you a moocher? If so, I can see why your family might act this way. Self sufficent adult children are valued higher than adult children who are financial burden.
    Anonymous

• To answer the Anon on top of me, NO, I am not a moocher. I live in my OWN beautiful townhome. I pay my rent ON MY OWN and the rest of my bills. My son needs for NOTHING. I have had times where I needed help from them (once or twice because things happen) but I have also helped these people. Who gives a fuck what they value. NONE OF THEM have done what I have done, so I deserve more respect than that, thank you.
    His_Mommy26

Answer by His_Mommy26 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I would much rather live in my inexpensive home with my wonderful husband and four great kids and wear my mediocre wardrobe and drive around my 6 year old minivan that spend one minute of a day with meaningless things instead. Wealth shouldn't be measured in monetary things but in the love we have in friends and family. If your family isn't treating you well, make more friends! BTW, I bet some people would think that you are rich :>)
    haston

Answer by haston at 8:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2009