how do i get my son to take a nap?

my son it turning 3 in june and will not take naps. he takes them at 5 at night and i just cant do that anymore. i use to have him take one in the afternoon but when my dh lost his job he and i went to work he stoped putting him down for a nap. im home again and i would really like to get him back to his naps. he has not been taking them for a few months now. we wake up no later then 9 and he goes to bed around 9 to. any help would be great. thanks

cowgirl856

Asked by cowgirl856 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you just gotta put him down, whether he cries or not, if he cries they usually cry themselves to sleep. if he gets up keep putting him back to bed
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• You may not be able to get him to sleep. BUT you can get him to lay down for quiet time. Set a timer and tell him that when it goes off, he can get up. Put the timer on the floor just outside his door. Check on him before the timer is to go off. If he is asleep, turn the timer off and let him sleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I don't know....my oldest two both gave up their naps at 3 years. I wouldn't let him nap at 5, though.

Either start putting him down for a rest in the afternoon at a certain time or let it go and accept that he's not going to nap any longer.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• If mine is really cranky, I will just lay him down in his bed and tell him he has to take a nap and if he really tired he will nap. But when he's not sleepy at all, he's not going to stay in his bed! Sometimes, if I'm tired/sleepy too, we will lay down together and nap.

Try just laying with him til he falls asleep, if you can. Then you can get up and do what you need to do. Or go for a drive, sometime getting Asa in the car if he's really sleepy will do the trick and I will get him out when we get home and lay him down in the bed.
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 11:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• oh, maybe him getting up close to 9 am is causing him not to be sleepy during the day. I can tell when Asa sleeps in like that, he's not sleepy in the afternoon. We usually get up at or before 8 am. Maybe you can really play during the hours like 12 - 2 and get him really tired, then he might take a nap. Good Luck!
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 11:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2009