Any ladies know about installing curtain rods on a cement wall?

I live in this stupid apartment that i hate so much. Anyways lol, all my walls through out the apartment is CEMENT wall. I can not Screw in NOTHING EVER. the only time i can is hanging pictures, frames, decor etc. I enclosed a few pics of my windows so you guys know how it looks and what im talking about. I called my leasing office and the guy was like maintenance is not going to come to your apartment to hang it, thats not what they do. I said yea but you cant take my rent money right? I called every place and they want $200 dollars a hour just to hang it with different bits i dont have. Stupid! The curtain rods come with screws and white anchors that are made out of plastic and has the screw like look.

Pictures:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e274/antsarmywife08/Wall/DSC01225.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e274/antsarmywife08/Wall/DSC01223.jpg

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• ok 1... it's Not concrete, at least not what you may think concrete is... (my dh is an apt. manager)
    there are certain types of mounts that you can use. They are called "lead screws"
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I was just told i needed masonry screws and molly drill bits. I called sears the hardware/tool section and that what the man told me. I only said Cement because i called a Handyman company and he said it was made out of cement after i explained what happens and what it looks like.

Ok so what else do i need besides Lead Screws? The curtain rode i got has 3 white anchors kind of like metal. 6 screws and 6 white plastic anchors. On the directions it says if wall is drywall or hallow wall screw anchors in. Well this is just confusing.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 8:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Return the curtain rods you have, and buy TENSION rods instead! They come in a variety of thicknesses and lengths/widths. You just put your curtain on the rod, squeeze the rod, and set it in between the window sashes.

You can also buy plastic hooks that have a very strong adhesive (I think 3M makes them), but when you want to remove them, you just pull on a tab, which loosens the adhesive, and off they come! Try looking in Lowes/Home Dept or an Ace/TruValue Hardware store.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• LoriKeet- I posted two links to my photobucket so like everyone and you can see the window. I have a curtain there and will not remove curtains off the windows. I live in a apartment we rent and these are curtains that come with the apartment. They are stuck on there very good from paint and screwing them in. I cant put a tension rod there. And i seen tension rods not work. My mom had them for her old house in her bathroom. They always fell. Im afraid of the adhesives ur talking about. I know what they are and i seen them. Im afraid the sticky part will remove the paint!
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 8:23 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Those hook adhesives wont work . The curtain rod is too thick and round to hang over it.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 8:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• go to a hardware store and explain your problem and they will tell you what you need.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• The one thing that I want to caution is that you may lose your deposit if you are not given permission to intall the curtain rods. Most landlords frown on holes in the walls, they don't care why you put them there.

I agree, tension rods!
    beanielips

Answer by beanielips at 2:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Like i showed you guys again, u cant put tension rods. I have pics there to prove it. i cant remove the blinds, they come with the apartment, Unless the blinds are broken and i will pay if they are. And i am allowed to install curtains here. holes in walls are not a problem. its on the leasing contract that if we choose to put up decor on walls they dont care. they will cover it up. they care more if we punch holes.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 4:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2009