Follow up to my earlier co-sleeping question...

If a mom has two children who die because of supposed "co-sleeping" accidents should she be charged with child neglect or should this be chalked up to a TRUE accident?

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/42495877.html

In the other recent case, 6-day-old Ceianna Buchanan was found dead March 8 in her home in the 2900 block of N. 29th St. She appeared to have been smothered.

Ceianna's mother, Rose Prescott, told police she might have fallen asleep on the couch with Ceianna. Prescott gave investigators conflicting stories, but eventually said she had been drunk.

Police concluded that Ceianna's death was an accident.

Another of Prescott's children - 2-month-old Brianna Buchanan-Prescott - died in April 2008 while sleeping with Prescott.

LimoMOM5

Asked by LimoMOM5 at 7:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• If they have no proof of wrong doing, no proof that it wasn't an unfortunate accident, then they can't charge her with anything beyond being an idiot. And no, I don't think co-sleeping is idiotic. Co-sleeping while drinking is idiotic.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I think she should stop having kids. This is obviously an unfit mother. This seems to have nothing to dow ith co-sleeping at all.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• She was drunk...she should be charged.

I have co-slept with all three of my boys but I do it carefully. I would never sleep in bed drunk with a baby. duh!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I sleep in the same bed with my 2 year old son. have been for a while... so im not against that.... but why would she do it again if she lost one child to it already? and y was she drinking, or drunk around her kids?
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 7:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Hmmmmmmmm..two kids, two different dates, same mother mysteriously die while co-sleeping? Sounds supsect to me!
    EiEiO

Answer by EiEiO at 8:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• shes a murderer and she should get her uterus removed.
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 8:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• What? A dead baby isn't punishment enough?
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 9:04 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Sounds like the issue here is irresponsibly co sleeping. I've co slept with my 3 kids and also put them in their own beds, did a mix. I'm very fortunate for my blessings.
    If drinking was involved with her first co sleeping incident then it's a stupid mistake on her part and one she'll have to live with for the rest of her life.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• The first time it is a horrible tragedy, the second time it is serious neglect.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• If she was drunk she should be charged. There is no reason to EVER co-sleep while under the influence. Even the strongest & most adamant supporters of co-sleeping clearly state that anyone sharing sleep with a child should never ever be under the influence...that is beyond irresponsible
    MamaApio

Answer by MamaApio at 10:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2009