Pacifier-Moms who weened baby off pacifier

Hey so I tried to take my son's sucky away today at nap time, I figuered he may put up a fight for you know a 1/2 hr or so but no, it went on for 2 hrs all the while laying him back down rubbing his back and talking to him softly nothing seemed to work so I gave in and gave it back to him (he fell right to sleep) he is just over 13 mths and so my question is HELP!!!!!!! anyone have any suggestions or how you got rid of the darn thing?????

GaijesMom

Asked by GaijesMom at 7:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our son was 2 and I told him he left it outside and the nieghbors dog got it.. He didn't say anything after that and I made sure there was no sign of binky's anywhere. I even avoided the isle that they were in at the store for a while... Your son is a litle older so maybe limit it to nap and bed time, tell him he has to leave it in his bed, once he leaves it then hide it out of sight so he doesn't think about it during the day. Hope I could help a little....
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 8:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My son was closer to two when i took it. The one he was using one day got a hole in it so we had to throw it away. He watched me do it. That was the end of it. Previously, like 4x4mum said, he was only allowed to have it at nap and bedtime, it stayed on his bed. If he wanted it during the day there were times when he would just sit on his bed for 10 or so minutes with it but he knew when he got down it stayed there. He is almost 2 1/2 now and he will tell you if you ask where his paci is that it is in the dump truck (which is the garbage truck).
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• cut the tips off, he cant suck
    i did that to mine he was mad and threw them, and honeslty he was pissed for a whole week, and then he was fine
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I took it away and didn't give it back. He cried and carried on like crazy the first day, not so much the second day and the third day went right to sleep.

He was 13 months.

Unfortunately, you gave him the pacifier back, so the next time you try it will probably be a little more difficult as he's going to be thinking the tantrum worked before, it will eventually work again....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• We went cold-turkey at 1 year. She took it during naps and bedtime only. She cried a lot (we did cry-it-out) and finally went to sleep. It took almost 5 days for her to realize the paci wasn't coming back. My husband was ready to give it back to her after the third day, but I said no. It was tough, trust me. But, if you really want it gone, do it now! It's hard to ween off the paci and the bottle. Hang in there!
    LEBulldog

Answer by LEBulldog at 9:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My son just turned 2 on the 10th and when he went to the dentist she said he needed to stop because he teeth weren't closed like there suppose to, so for the past 3 days he hasn't had his binky, and everyone kept telling me its the worse thing and its going to drive you crazy by their cranky attitude, but to my surprise my son is doing great! He does some light crying when I go to put him down for naps/bedtime but other than that hes doing great, so its better to get them off the binky sooner than later otherwise the teeth are just going to get worse! Good luck!!
    Wifey_Ma

Answer by Wifey_Ma at 9:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I told my daughter that we left hers at Red Lobster and that it was gone for about three days. Finally she forgot about it! I just kept telling her it's gone. Finally she stopped asking for it. I also occupied her minds with other things while she was getting off the paci. like coloring, toys, playing outside, and other things.
    Woodarddeanna

Answer by Woodarddeanna at 12:52 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Thanks for all the input ladies, I am going try cutting the tip off and see how that goes.
    GaijesMom

Answer by GaijesMom at 9:30 AM on Apr. 26, 2009