How do I stop breast feeding?

My son never took to the breast, but I have been pumping and bottle feeding him for the past two months. I'm down to one pumping session a day and I'd like to stop altogether. Is there anything I need to know or should I just stop cold turkey and suffer it out?

LeeLee222

Asked by LeeLee222 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should know that there are plenty of ways to get baby 'back to the breast' and that the longer you breastfeed the better it is for you and baby. Stopping cold turkey is the worst thing to do for you and especially for baby. Good Luck with your decision but know that you can continue to breastfeed if the best is what you desire for your child.

Anonymous

• If you REALLY want to stop, just put cold cabbage leaves in your bra for a couple of days to help with engorgement, but maybe just let him BF for a *few* more months...it's best until theyre 6 months at minimum...Im not telling you to but if you wanted, that's how to help.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• The World Health Organization recommends breast feeding for a minimum of two years.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• If you feel that you are ready to stop then stop. I've heard that cabbage leaves are great! But seeing as you are down to pumping only once a day you may not have much of a problem.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I think that since you are down to one pumping you should be fine to just stop. If there is discomfort I hear cabbage leaves are great.

Props for you mamma for feeding your child breast milk as long as you could!!! Especially having to pump exclusively. That would be so hard. Don't let other moms put you down, and always know that you are the one who will make the best decisions for your child.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Thank you to the ladies who gave me advice. I know many ladies think I'm a bad mom for wanting to stop. While there are benefits to breastfeeding, there are some things that it aggravates. My son stopped breathing last week. After 6 hours in the emergency room where they tortured him and 3 days in the PICU, it was determined that he has acid reflux. He choked on some milk that came up while he was sleeping. That said, one of the treatments for that is thickening his feeds with rice because breast milk is very light and tends to come up easier than formula. I was thinking about trying the breast again, but now I just can't. The pumping is starting to wear me down. Thank you jullpickle2 for feeling my pain. I feel that he has gotten the benefits of my breast milk for over two months now and that is good enough. Sorry if many of you disagree. I love my son and want what is best for him and the thicker formula is it.
    LeeLee222

Answer by LeeLee222 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 25, 2009