OMG!!! My 16 month old...

My angel of a daughter has turned into a demon over night! We're having our first tantrums! She's got a runny nose and is teething and such so I'm considering that, but the arched back, kicking and screaming and yelling "NOOOOOOO!" and hitting me in the face is making me nuts! She's NEVER done this before! A phase? (I hope) I want to know how to handle the situation! Advice? I try to just put her down alone with the door open in the next room until she cools off... it's kind of working - help!

Tirzah6

Asked by Tirzah6 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i have a 15 month old...welcome to the early stage of terrible twos! Practice patience with time outs. Do it for one minute and designate a lil chair for her time outs. Ignore the tantrum at first, give a warning for time out, then if she persists put her in the chair while telling her she isnt to be mean like that and when she can be lovey (what ever you tell her is sweet) she can get out. GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• They get really frustated when they can't get their way and espcially if they can't talk to you about it. Get on her level, and calmly ask her to show you what she wants. Let her lead you and encourge her to point. if she seems sick, as her to point to what hurts. She may or may not respond well at this point, but i'll get better as she learns how to communicate wtih you better.
    Anonymous

• HEEELLL TO THE NO IF YOUR DAUGHTER IS BIG ENOUGH TO HIT YOU SHE IS BIG ENOUGH TO GET HIT BACK BEFORE YOU SAY WHAT THE HECK IS SHE TALKING ABOUT JUST HEAR ME OUT THERE IS NO WAY YOUR DAUGHTER SHOULD BE HITTING YOU AT THIS AGE OR ANY AGE AND IF YOU DONT PUT A STOP TO IT SHE WILL ONLY GET WORSE! WHEN SHE HITS YOU NOT ONLY DO YOU PUT HER ON TIME OUT BUT YOU TAP HER HAND AND TELL HER NO! NO! YOU NEVER HIT MOMMY THAT WILL NOT BE ALLOWED AND YOUR NOT BEATING HER OR KILLING HER BUT HELPING HER REALIZE THAT HITTING IS NEVER THE ANSWER THAT WHEN YOU HIT THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE BIGGER THAT CAN HIT YOU BACK AND REALLY HURT YOU BELIEVE ME MY DAUGHTER HIT ME ONE TIME AND I TAPPED HER HAND SO HARD AND SPOKE TO HER ABOUT IT I TOLD HER THAT SHE WOULD NOT GET A RESPOND BY HITTING AND YOU DONT DISRESPECT MOMMY LIKE THAT I PUT HER ON TIME OUT AND NOT ALLOWED HER TO GET THE COOKIE SHE WANTED FOR A WEEK AND EVERY TIME SHE ASKED FOR IT I SAID NO
    BRIGHTEYEDGURL

Answer by BRIGHTEYEDGURL at 11:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• FINISHED FROM ABOVE: AND REMINDED HER BY SAYING DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN YOU HIT MOMMY SHE SAYS YES AND I SAY THATS WHY YOU CANT HAVE THE COOKIE AND WHAT WAS WORSE WE WERE AT THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY IN FRONT OF ALOT OF VERY BIG BUS. PEOPLE AND YOU DONT WANT PEOPLE TO THINK THAT YOUR CHILD IS BAD OR HAVE NO KIND OF HOME TRAINING YOUR A GREAT MOM IM SURE AND DESERVE TO BE TREATED THAT WAY NEVER LET YOUR CHILD FORGET THAT!!!!!!! JUST TRY THIS AND SEE HOW IT TURNS OUT BY THE WAY MY CHILD IS ABOUT TO TURN NINE AND HAS YET TO HIT ME EVER AGAIN :-) FEEL FREE TO RESPOND TO THIS GOOD LUCK SIGNED BRIGHTEYEDGURL
    BRIGHTEYEDGURL

Answer by BRIGHTEYEDGURL at 11:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I think 16 months is way too young an official time-out chair. At that young age, distraction and prevention are your best bets.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2009