I have a 5 month old baby who acts like shes teething is it ok to give her teething med? And is she to young for the med? And what kind is good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son hasnt gotten any teeth yet but for the last 2 months he has went through little teething spurts. Hes 5 months. But I would give tylenol for a fever, and give your baby something to chew on. My son loves a wet wash rag. Your not suposed to use motrin before 6 months. I have never used the teething tablets, but the oragel works ok. My son didnt seem to care for it. But the best thing i have found so far are lots of naps and something cold to chew on.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 1:35 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• No, that's not too young. Motrin works better than Tylenol for teething
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 8:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Try to avoid using Oragel if you can. It makes their gums tough so the teething gets worse. Be careful if you use Motrin. Most doctor's say to wait until 6 months to give Motrin.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Yeah, I'd say limited Tylenol if absolutely necessary. Most babies work through the discomfort by chewing, which is preferable to any medicines... give baby a teething ring or a frozen washcloth to chew. But if the only signs of teething are drooling and chewing (not excessive fussing), it may or may not be teething, and you don't need to do a thing.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:35 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Motrin AFTER 6 months....use an electric toothbrush to soften the gums, that way they don't push thru as hard....homeopathic teething tabs (not orajel) and a damp washcloth to chew on...good luck:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• There are all natural teething tablets that dissolve on thier gums it relieves the pain without toughining up thier gums like oralgel does i have used them with all of my little ones(7) and not had to use anything else if your baby has a fever you should ask your pediatrician before giving tylenol or motrin that young the package says for 2+ so i would be careful. You can find the tablets inthe grocery store on the baby aisle
    lilmammaweisner

Answer by lilmammaweisner at 9:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2009