Is there a certain age a baby has to be before putting sunscreen on? And What age?

My daughter is 5 months and i heard you cant put sunscreen on them till a year. is it true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use California Baby sunscreen and it is all natural. I put it on my 4 month old, but I don't put it on his face or hands.
    M_May-Rafferty

Answer by M_May-Rafferty at 9:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• six months is what I have been told many times
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 8:11 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• All of my bottles always said 6 months and older.
    Before that you are supposed to use clothes and blankets if you MUST take them into the sun.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My pediatrician explained why the bottles of baby sunscreen say not before 6 months. It's because before 6 months you should not be exposing baby's skin for extended periods of time to the sun, so you should not be relying on sunscreen. But, she said, if you do have to take baby out, by all means put on sunscreen, but also keep baby covered (sun hat, etc). The cream is not going to harm your baby, in other words, but the sun sure could. So at 5 months, I'd say you're all clear, just limit the exposure to the sun.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Our pediatrician said 6 months. It has to do with the development of their skin and the absorption of chemicals from the sun screen.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• 6 and just get a natural one...Earths best makes one at babies r us...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i was originally told 6 mos but when DD was 3 mos her dr said i could do it (though i didnt need to) but i know be easy with it on the face and hands since they constantly rub face and chew their hands
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 10:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• my son is 5 months old, and we just took him to the zoo today. i put sunscreen on him, just to be safe, but he was in his stroller alot with the canopy keeping the sun out. and he had a hat on. but i did carry him for a while also, yes in the sun. hes fine, no sunburn, and no reaction to sunscreen. i think you will be fine
    Anonymous