Taking your daughter off of breastfeeding.

I have a just now one year old daughter who is still breastfeeding and still nursing to sleep. She sleeps in the bed with us also! I need to rid her of this habit before it gets any later. Any advice on how to get her off of breastfeeding? Its not like she breastfeeds its more like she comfort feeds to sleep and i need to get that over with because shes biting down really hard and its not fun for me. Any advice?

SRmommyoftheyr

Asked by SRmommyoftheyr at 8:10 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i switched my daughter over to bottles with breast milk first. then whole milk in the bottles. and now we're into whole milk in sippy cups. Took her about a month to get used to the change but she's okay now.
    AddysDogBear

Answer by AddysDogBear at 9:01 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Why the rush? The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 2 years. You can start giving her water in a sippy cup; cow milk is not necessary at all. If you are concerned about your baby getting enough calcium, here is information to ease your mind: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/strong_bones.html
    Really, with all of the pus and antibiotics in milk, why would you consider giving it to your child.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Hi, I had the same problem with my 14 months, here's what I did, maybe it'll work for you; first, I securely attached his crib to my bed, so he can still be next to me but in his own crib, if he wakes up at night,I do my best to comfort him;patting,talking...(I personnally disegree with the letting him cry method,that some had told me to do..)and then, make sure you feed her really well before she goes to sleep, if its for naps, then try giving her yogurt, or banana, if it is dinner ,give her something thick, like rice, with some ground turkey.
    I know how breastmilk is important for my baby,that's why ,eventhough I decided to wean him from nursing the breast,now I pomp my milk and give him in a sippy cup in his feeding times,ans I'll try doing that untill he's 2.
    And my best advice, is to follow your mommy instinct to take your decisions ,nothing beats it!
    rozanova

Answer by rozanova at 10:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I agree with rkoloms completely. breastfeeding isn't just a source of nutrition... its also a relationship... a way to bond and comfort and its perfectly normal for this to happen at this age. The normal age for weaning from the breast world wide I believe is 4 years old.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I would start off by switching her into her own bed. Once you tackle that one then start by removing one feeding every week to a week in a half or so. If she is biting down then you might be drying up a little?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My advice is to let her wean herself, or at least nurse until she's two and you can talk with her about it and explain to her why she has to stop etc. My daughter just turned one also, she still breastfeeds and sleeps with me all night. It's perfectly normal and okay, as well as healthy to breastfeed a toddler! The World Health Organization(WHO) actually recommends at least two years of breastfeeding while the AAP recommends a year but urges mothers to breastfeed for as long as mom and baby want.

Good luck with your decision, and GREAT job breastfeeding for so long mama!

kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:31 AM on Apr. 25, 2009