How can I convince my seven week old that it is ok to sleep at night?

Due to losing the convenience of being in our own home for weeks my baby has gone from sleeping through the night to not wanting to sleep until three and then waking every hour to eat and then taking naps through the day. We are back at home now and I was hoping he would go back to our normal routine but he hasn't. How can I get him back to sleeping through the night?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well at 7 wks its normal for his sleep to be off. When my son was younger he had problems sleeping too, my Dr suggested keeping him busy druing the day and not letting him sleep more than 2 hrs for a nap. Keep a routine try not to deviate from it.
    keegansMommi615

Answer by keegansMommi615 at 1:59 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Haha! Babies don't always sleep through the night. Mine hasn't since birth and he's 3 months. My older son also went in stages. Keep him stimulated during the day and at night keep the lights dim, no music, and no talking. Night time feeding is strictly business. Pick him up, change his diaper and feed him and put him back down. GL

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• 7 weeks? They should still be waking up at this point!
    Anonymous

• I'm not talking about not waking for feedings. Before he would go to bed by eleven and wake every three hours to eat until nine or so. Now he will go to sleep at three and wake every one to three hours until two. That is when he is active. How can I get him back to his old sleep patterns? Not sleep the whole night. Just sleep in his old time frame. I'd be stupid to think he would sleep eight hours straight.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 8:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• ha ha ha ha sorry to say, but thats gonna be a tough one
    good luck
    i used to make sure the room was dark and play a soft luliby cd
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• As much stimilation as possible during the hours right before bed. Is he sleeping more during the day? If so he may have gotten his nights and days mixed up. My oldest did this, and it took some work to get him flipped back around. BUT he did flip around. ANother suggestion is to try to set a decent day routine (flexible) but a more rigid night routine, not schedule, and not so rigid that it militant, but set and firm...I hope that made sense! Good luck! I hope you guys can get it turned around it is very hard when all you want is a little sleep.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• NOT a lot of stimulation right before bed as pp said...you need to have "quiet" time, read, turn the lights down, bath, feed, whatever. He will get back on his "schedule" if that's what you call it at 7 weeks...he still is very young for it but it will be ok :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• You can't, sorry. Babies need to eat often (and be held and loved and entertained). My daughter was 8 months old before she slept six solid hours.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:01 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• ummm....at 7 weeks old, babies can get into a schedule. I honestly dont understand how women whos babies are a lot older are still not on a schedule or with good sleeping habits but I guess I got a good kid. But to answer the question...what worked for me and my almost 7 week old (who already does sleep from 10:30pm-6am without waking up) was making sure I did the same thing at the same time at night. Bath at a certain time, bottle right after and make sure he always sleeps in the same place. Just stick to the same thing and he'll get back on track. If you are constantly out and not just home, he probably wont be on a schedule.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Try to stick to as much of a routine as you can. Try taking him for a walk in the mornings or if the weather where you are is still cool take him for a walk anytime of the day. The coolness of the air may make him stay awake, but being only 7 weeks it may not. He will eventually get back to sleeping his schedule again. Even if you find that you are not at home, wheather for one night or several stick to your routine as best you can and that may help in the future keeping things consistant for him.
    He's also growing, so I wouldn't necessairly blame his sleep pattern change on atmosphere.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2009