do any other moms let their child (6+ months) have juice on a regular basis?

If I ever ask a question on here about juice all I hear is how juice is unnecessary and empty calories. Some of the responses make me feel like I should be stoned (rocks not weed). I always had juice as a kid! I loved it!!

So I give my daughter 1-2 oz of juice (diluted with water) 3-5 days a week either with a meal or as a snack (with a few crackers or something). What is so wrong with this? Am I the only mother who lets her child enjoy a little bit of juice?

Disclaimer: She never gets juice or anything else until AFTER she has nursed, so breast milk is her main source of nutrition-and will be until she's a year old.

julipickle2

Asked by julipickle2 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As a mom of five, I have given my kids juice, and I think that a little is good for them, especially as you start introducing solids, it will help them not get constipated. I always mixed juice in my babies rice cereal for breakfast. As they get older they dont need more than 6-8 oz of juice in a day. This can cause them to have very acidy poop and pee and cause blistering rashes. (ask a dr if you want) One of the best juices you can use is pear juice because its acidity isnt as strong a apple juice. I hope this helps!
    5isenoughforme

Answer by 5isenoughforme at 1:03 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• It sounds like you're doing it right. I don't give juice... the debates get heavy on here... but I think if you're diluting it and keeping it limited there's no problem... I just avoided it because milk or water vs. juice isn't a battle I wanted to fight with my daughter. My friend who's a pediatrician says they get people all the time whose 5-6 month olds drink straight, undiluted juice bottle after bottle throughout the day... So I guess I personally, when I respond to "should I give juice?" questions on CM, tend to just say "NO" but of course there's a way to do it right. Sorry you've felt attacked.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I've given my son juice since he was 6 months old. He loves it and he's not overweight, so I don't see anything wrong with it. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 8:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Oh! And he's 17 months now.
    Krystal.Ingalls

• Mine did. They were eating two stage 2 jars of food per meal (3 meals per day), they had snacks three times per day as well. They were also taking almost 50oz of formula. (this was AT 6 months)

I gave them 4oz water/4oz juice twice a day with a finger food snack.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I should also mention that I do give it to her in a sippy cup instead of a bottle. Even for adults I think juice is something to be "sipped" not gulped like water.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• lol ignore people who fuss at you you are doing good
    i gave mine small amounts of juice with snacks at that age too he is 5 1/2 not overweight
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Haha, are there really juice debates?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i give mine a little in a sippy just b/c she's learning how to drink out of one and I dont want her spilling breastmilk..and if she's constipated...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Did I do it? Absolutely not! There is no reason for juice at that age. It is now recommended to wait until well into toddlerhood. To each her own but I decided that if there is anything that I can do to help prevent future or current problems I would do it and not giving juice is an easy one. All baby needs for the first year is breastmilk / formula.

Anonymous