When you first pumped, (the first week when you got milk) how much did you get?

I know it is a matter of supply and demand but normally within the first week how much did you pump?

MalakiahsMommy

Asked by MalakiahsMommy at 8:35 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I olnly pumped after my baby nursed for about five minutes I'd get about 2 ounces left over... the most important thing about supply is DEMAND so until your baby has broken 12 pounds they should be allowed to nurse as often as they like for as long as they like
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• The first week I pumped I only got an ounce or two at time. And my son wasn't latching on at that time, so I know it was all I was making. I became obsessed with pumping. I basically pumped non stop for a couple of weeks. By the time I went back to work, when he was 7 weeks, I could pump 6 oz per side by lunchtime.

So if you're only getting a little, don't worry that doesn't mean you won't make more.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• You shouldn't even pump until your supply is well established, usually around 3 weeks.
    Anonymous

• LLL told me to pump as often as I could. They said it helps to bring up your supply the same way nursing does. I had an awesome supply so it worked great for me.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I would get anywhere from 2-4 ounces but PUMPING IS NOT AN INDICATOR OF MILK SUPPLY!!
    Anonymous