other mommies of adhd kids

HELP
please no bashing on how adhd isnt real, i need advice form ofther mommies of adhd kids
what do you do in the morning when the meds arent in yet, or at night when they are gone and you want to choke your child (dont get pantoes in a bunch im not gonna really choke him) Right now i want to scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is a great kid, but when meds are gone or are not in yet he has nocommon sence and no sence of what a butt head he is being, but i dont want to let him off for yelling at me ect simply cuz hes not on meds, he still needs to know what is and isnt ok
real life experience advice please

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 8:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Here is what I do. In the morning, I get him up, dressed and breakfast, then his meds. At night, we have a pretty strict schedule because it works best. I let him play for a while, homework, dinner, more playtime, shower and then relax for about 30 minutes before bed. When my son is off the walls, I will just remind him to settle down, relax, focus. Make sure you have his attention first, have him look you in the eyes. If you need him to do a list of things, tell him one at a time, breaking things down into smaller tasks really helps. I also have learned how to tune out his obnoxious behaviors so I don't have to strangle him. LOL!!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I agree with the above poster. My son has ADHD as well. I dont know how old your son is, but it does get better as they get older. Breaking things down into smaller tasks, or keeping them to a strict schedule works very well.
    Sometimes you feel kinda helpless, like "when is this ever gonna end" or "what did I do wrong". Hang in, it does get better. At least your kid didnt pull the fire alarm on his very first day of school!!! I knew then I was doomed! LOL
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My DD was just diagnosed in Jan and we havent got her figured out yet. They said when she starts school this fall and gets more of a routine it will get better. We have just took her off of Adderall and not starting anything else until of Monday- Its going to be a fun weekend! Plus u can go to some ADHD groups- check out my page.
    MomOfFour24

Answer by MomOfFour24 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• when my son was younger I used to actually wake him up and give him the meds then he would doze back off for 30 minutes or so then the morning when much easier. getting a schedule is important and doing as much as you can the night before helps too. get the clothes all laid out and ready to go so he can put them on in the morning with out having to make any decisions.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I wish I had some advice for you. My youngest has ADHD bit we haven't made the choice to use meds (yet). There are days when I swear I'm gonna pull all my hair out. I like the ideas that the previous posters had. I know right now I just have to give her and myself time to let her do things her way (which is usually a long drawn out process and may include lots of sulking if it's something she doesn't want to do).

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Stick to a routine and break tasks down for him. Give him direction, instead of telling him to "get ready for bed" tell him specifically, go brush your teeth, get your pajamas on, get into bed, etc. When he breaks down let him have a few moments to meltdown, he's frustrated and tired. Then give him a hug and start over again, go brush your teeth, etc. And give him encouragement, and positive comments. If you start to get mad, try having his father take over for you for a few tasks. Just stay positive and remember he will get through this.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 12:01 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• i give him small tasts ex brush your teeth, 20 min later after much fighting, his teeth MIGHT be brushed

and he did pull a fire alarm when he was 3 at the ymca lol
    his clothes are layed out the night before so there is no picking out clothes, but i swear it takes FOREVER and several fights before he is dressed
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:37 AM on Apr. 25, 2009