What do I do

My soon to be sister in law is 12 and she just found out that her step dad only has 4 to 6 months. she is really upset so she is staying with us how do I go about trying to comfort her

kcandie

Asked by kcandie at 8:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Just to clarify, your SIL's stepdad has 4-6 months to live? If so, I would get her into counseling to help her deal with this very difficult time, it sounds like she is close to him. Encourage her to spend as much time with him as possible. It may break her hurt but she and he needs this time together. Encourage her to tell him what he means to her , that she loves him. Be there for her to let her cry to, talk to, etc. She will be ok, but it will take time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• they're not real close but hes always been there and i dont think that her mom likes the idea of counseling i've tried talkin but she doesnt want to talk about it i dont think that she want to be around him right now because shes sad thats why she opted to come to our house
    kcandie

Answer by kcandie at 9:23 PM on Apr. 24, 2009