Would you agree with this??

That all religions basically have a common ground - and that the common ground is the belief in a higher power.
I ask this question with the utmost respect for all. What do you think?

dragonfly7271

Asked by dragonfly7271 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Absolutely! I believe all personal paths/religions lead to God and not only respect that others know which paths work best for them, but find the differences and diversities to be fascinating, while still being similar enough that we know we are all united through this Common Ground, however we perceive it, and that should really be an awesome and inspiring thing!
    =D
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• That's exactly what I feel. I think we all go back to God in one way or another.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Absolutely! I believe we are all praying to the same thing & that we all just have a different name for it.

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 8:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I don't know if the ground would be considered common, but that the discription of an organized religion is the belief in something therefore it is called a religion making it common in that sense only. Am I making sense? probably not.
    Minnesotamom

Answer by Minnesotamom at 8:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• No, I think I understand your point minne. It's quite valid actually.
    I asked this question because growing up, I was only exposed to Christianity. Bible School every day after school - taught Sunday school - active in the church. Not a bad thing!
    But during college I began to take classes on the Philosophy of Religion and other similar courses, and learned about other beliefs. I have always been fascinated by it. And although I still hold my Christian roots dear, the thing that struck me the most was that it seemed that all organized religions had the "higher power" as a foundation. So it leaves me to wonder if that "foundation" is all the same entity, or of many entities that in combination make the whole.
    Don't know if that makes sense or not, but worth a shot! lol
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 9:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I have to respectfully disagree. If only for the simple fact that what actually defines the "higher power" is so diverse that we can't find a common ground on even what to call it; let alone what it wants or how to worship it.

I see the idea behind this thought, but just don't feel like its enough to call it a common ground.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Good point ozarkgirl - and that is why I think people argue so much and are so passionate about religion. We all call it different things, we all see it as different things, so how could it be the same? Interesting. Thanks!
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• - and that is why I think people argue so much and are so passionate about religion. We all call it different things, we all see it as different things, so how could it be the same Yep, that's about it, and therefore we will never have common ground. Even between the different Christian groups. They might have the most important thing which is Christ, but each church and each denomination has different teachings and beliefs, which makes it hard to really have a common ground unless their beliefs are the same as yours. ie... our friends are Christians, they don't believe in baby baptism and I do, hence we don't have the same beliefs, and because we are both adament  in our beliefs, the common ground is shaken.

Minnesotamom

Answer by Minnesotamom at 9:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I would say it is a common ground. Whatever we believe, we believe it is more than just us.
    Anonymous

• And I believe every religion/personal path agrees on the most important thing - that there is Something out there (common ground, whatever you perceive it to be - God, the Tao, etc), that we are to love our neighbors, and to forsake "sin" or "wrongdoing" in this life to live righteously.
    I think that pretty much sums it up!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2009