scared of c-section

my ob. is trying to talk me into a c-section for my second baby, due in august, because of the size of my first one, who gave me a 3rd degree tear. I am scared to death to have one. I know that I won't feel it at all, especially compared to labor, but I am just so scared of it! Can anyone make me feel any better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• take a Bradley Class and get a new doctor... any Md who cant handle a vaginal correctly needs a new profession. I"ve seen 11 pounders deliver with no complications and a GOOD DOCTOR... if you had a thir degree tear it is from a BAD doctor not a big baby
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• do what YOU want to do
    can hey check the size of THIS baby before deciding?
    i had a c section, but it was an emergency after 18 hrs of labor ugh
    you dont feel anything in the csection, but you need to decide what is best for you
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Is tearing that bad for you? If you can handle the possibility of tearing even worse this time, then go for vaginal. I've had two c sections. The first was emergency and the second was planned. My first almost died trying to go vaginal and I'll never ever try vaginal again. I was up walking around 4hrs after my second c section.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I've had 3 c-sections & glad I did too. There were no complications with all 3 c's & recovery was smooth for all 3 as well. Plus the tunnel doesn't get stretched out. That's a bonus for your hubby if you know what I mean.

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 9:11 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I don't often think doctors try to get women to have c-sections just cos they can't do vaginals. It seems she wants to make sure you are ok. Tearing that badly doesn't sound like something anyone would want to go through again. And she is probably just thinking what may be best for you.
    BUT if you really don't want to. Then you don't have to. Its all down to you.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I had a c-section with my first, it was scheduled for 8am and at 1234am that day my water broke. We got to the hospital and since my baby was breech they rushed us into the OR. I was nervous but it was WONDERFUL! They prepped me with a spinal (much like an epidural) and then brought my husband in and minutes later we met our beautiful baby boy. I couldn't feel anything other than a light feeling of pulling to get my baby out. After I got up and moved around as soon as they let me (if you sit/lie for too long it is more painful to get up). I wasn't in too much pain, in fact my friend who had had a baby shortly before (vag.) said I recovered much faster than she did. I was able to go home 2.5 days later!
    Doctors do them all the time so I wouldn't worry about that, however Doctors say REALLY mean things when they want to force you to do something. I had to switch Doctors bc mine tried to bully me.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 9:23 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• OK SERIOUSLY?? GET A NEW DOCTOR!!!

Let me ask you a question...WERE YOU ON YOUR BACK IN THE HOSPITAL BED DELIVERING YOUR FIRST??? Or were you allowed to squat, be on your hands and knees, etc?

Laying on your back actually makes the pelvis smaller and increases your risk of tearing!!

PLUS a big baby IS NOT A REASON for a c-section. OMG I'm so outraged at the lack of respect for the human woman body!!

Is there anything wrong with a c-section WHEN THEY ARE NEEDED??? NO. Is there something wrong with a doctor putting a patient at a higher risk of so many problems because he lacks an understanding of how the women's body works?? ABSAFRIGGENLOUTLY!!!!!

GET A SECOND OPINION...OR A MIDWIFE!!! Do not let them cut you open for the convienance and irgnorance of the doctor!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE educate yourself better than some of the women that answered this question have. OMG...my blood is boiling!!
    Anonymous

• "Plus the tunnel doesn't get stretched out. That's a bonus for your hubby if you know what I mean."

Okay. ARE YOU SERIOUS? That is a total and complete falsehood that your throwing around. Everything goes right back to normal. IN FACT some women are tighter after a vaginal birth than before.

**SHAKES HEAD**
    Anonymous

• why is your doctor telling you you need a c-section? tell him you will try to have the baby vaginally and if it doesn't progress and it's medically necessary...then go for a c-section.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 25, 2009