Is there a good diet to put a family on?

My SO and I are both getting overweight. Our doctor just told him he is 100lbs overweight and now he had high blood pressure (he's only 26). I want to know if anyone knows of a diet that is inexpensive to follow that the whole family can do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I use www.sparkpeople.com it's free. I do not diet. What I have been doing is counting calories and I modified what I already eat. It's ot going to be about a diet, it's going to be about a lifestyle change.
    In the past 5 months, I have lost 30 lbs. I stopped second portions ( I also watch portion size) and I limit the amount of fast food, fried food, and sweets I eat - I stil eat that stuff - it's just not as frequently.
    You will also need to begin some physical activity - you can begin slow and work up. Both of you will have to make it a commitment for yourselves.
    Expect a weight loss of 1 to 2 lbs a week - it's healthier and more likely to stay off.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:00 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• That definitely fits under "things to ask your doctor".
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 8:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My husband and I did Jenny Craig after I had my daughter. It worked really well, was a balanced diet (rather than a no sugar or no carb or no whatever diet) and really taught us how to eat (in terms of serving sizes). It is more about portion control than anything...plus they have a list of "free foods" that you can eat to your heart's content. It was also really convenient because all the food was microwaveable (plus it tasted good!) It is much more expensive than a typical grocery bill though....but once you get the hang of it, you can start making more of your own food and cutting your costs. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i love weight watchers and i believe it works.. you can invest a small investment in it and learn how to work the program then go at it alone if you can't afford it.. but simply put, add veggies and fruits to your meals... cut out fried foods.. don't eat frenchfries unless you bake them.. eat whole grains and make sure to drink water..
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Let's start with this basic fact. A diet is a temporary fix; dieting leads to the rollercoaster of gain and loss. You need to exercise regularly, start with 20 minute walks at night. Now comes the hard part, changing the way your family eats. First, drink water: at least 8 8 ounces glasses every day; need to jazz it up? Add a slice of orange or lemon; for the kids, freeze ice cubes with a blueberry "eyeball". Next, stop buying white food (rice, sugar, bread, pasta, etc.). You need to buy whole grains (read the label, the first ingredient should be a whole grain): brown rice, whole what pasta, whole grain bread, quinoa, barley, you get the idea. Eat 7 servings of whole grains every day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables everday, in a rainbow of colors. Your weightloss will not be quick, but it will be lasting. You will be setting an awesome example for your kids. Please contact me for recipes. Out of room!

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I followed almost the same as rkoloms. I cut out carbinated drinks all together. Lots of water and high fiber foods. Now fiber is tricky. You need to add fiber gradually. Don't change all at once. Like do a sandwich with one slice of your normal bread the other with the whole grain wheat. Add a new vegi and a new fruit every week. It will be slower but your body will take to the transition better than doing this all at once. I started keeping cut up fruits in my fridge. Apples, oranges and pineapple in a tub. My family loves it. Add a few new things a week and your bodies will be doing great in no time. Have fun with it.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• And along with that fiber like rkoloms said lots of water. About eight glasses a day. Have it with the high fiber foods. And do not drink diet drinks. That artifical sweetner IMO is a big tummy upset in my house. Now if you already drink a lot diet drinks. Slowly cut back on it. When your bodies adjust to this your weight loss will stay off. Diets don't work lifestyle changes stay with you for life. Your cravings will be gone soon as well.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Its really simple - If God Didn't Make It You Don't Eat It!!!! Cut out all the processed foods as much as possible. Cut portions - when you feel satisfied immediately cover your plate with a napkin so the food is not staring at you. Increase your dark produce intake. Dark pigmented produce carries a natural chemical that helps to jump start the metabolism. Cut out processed sugar, and yes this means the white granulated as well. Switch to RAW which is available at all stores. Also cut out sodas, juices, and alcohol - with just those 3 and the sugar switch you can lose an average of 12 lbs in 3 months. Also stay away from diet products they are loaded with chemicals, stay away from artificial sweeteners these also bloat your fat cells. Flavor water with lemon - and start walking after every meal - the entire family. This is the most eceonomic way - you dont need to fall into a diet product plan.

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 6:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2009