How much damage gave I done to my baby?

I spent the entire first trimester oblivious to my pregnancy. I smoke weed occasionally, but if I didn't, I was still around those who did. I went to a few parties, and drank on a few occasions. I used both alcheseltzer and cough medicine during what I thought were stomach pains and the worst cold of my entire life. I drank coffee, I lifted heavy objects. I think I ate tuna once.. and I didn't know, so I didn't get any prenatal care till my second trimester, the vitamins included. Now I get prenatal care, and I take the vitamins, and drink 10 cups of water/day. All the sonograms show a strong healthy baby, but I'm really worried now.

Please don't bash, but help.. explain, anything. How bad is this.. Really?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if it shows a strong healthy baby, thats what it probably is.. you wont know of any other health problems til he or she is born.. just take care of yourself from now om and dont smoke weed. depending on what state you live in, they will not let you take the baby home from the hospital if its in your system... and yes, they do drug test your pee every time you go to the dr. and hospital.
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• If there was something wrong with your baby, your doctor would have probably picked up on it by now. I'm 8 months, and I still drink coffee; I have a cigarette every now and then, and my birth mother smoked pot when she was pregnant with me, and came out just fine. I haven't had any alcohol since I found out (right away) but I did lift heavy objects until my 2-week-notice was up at my job. Don't worry, your baby will be perfect :)
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 9:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• okay so listen. i got pregnant with my first son when i was 17. ignoring the fact that i didn't have a period. i wasn't a smoker. but i did go to a few parties and drink. and he was fine. i drank coffee and sodas while pregnant with my kids. i did lift heavy objects. i didn't start taking vitamins til my 4 month with my first. i did have cough medicine once with my second. and my kids are fine! my little boy is so smart. he's 2 now and my little girl is 6 months and shes got a personality on her!
    i think you'll be fine as long as you start getting better and change your ways. i did. i think you could to.
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 9:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• No one can give you an accurate answer to that ? you may not even know for years to come.. and I like to think with a little extra TLC maybe all will be fine... With that said be prepared in most States if you did not get Prenatal care by week 16 or if they had a positive drug screen in any of your urine tests (and they check every time even if they do not tell you so) they are required by law when baby arrives to call child protective services to follow you for the first 12 months after baby is born
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• well i dont want to tell you that everything is fine and then your baby comes out with something wrong with him/her (i'm praying for you that he/she is perfect) but most women dont know they are prego in the beginning, i didnt. not until i was about 8 weeks along. i drank a few times, didnt smoke weed or hang out with others who did, but i did smoke cigarettes which is obviously bad for both baby and mom. My son is now 6 weeks old, and he was born perfectly healthy (thank god!) you cant help but worry about stuff like that, but whats done is done, just continue to eat right and take your vitamins and get plenty of rest and you and baby should be ok. i will keep you and baby in my prayers though! good luck!!!!
    robbinsme

Answer by robbinsme at 9:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I did'nt find out that i was preggo with my daughter until i was just about 4 months along. My daughter come into this world very healthy girl. I really don't think you have anything to worry about just eat healthy and coffee is fine to drink and you can eat tuna once a week. GL
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Until about 30 years ago women had no way of knowing for sure if they were pregnant till they were 8-12 weeks. They had no clue that there was anything wrong with eating tuna, and they drank coffee all the time. Most didn't smoke pot, but some hippies did, land lots of women smoked tobacco. Everybody had an occasional glass of wine or a beer on a hot summer day. Nevertheless they produced an abundance of perfectly healthy babies, even with all the things they "didwrong" because they didn't know any better. If you are strong and healthy, your baby is more than likely not harmed in any way at all. And you said the sonagrams show a healthy baby, so that's what you are getting! Good luck Mama, and CONGRATULATIONS!
    Anonymous

• Melrn is WRONG.... I DID tel my OBGYN that I had smoked weed when i first was pregnant and didnt know it, they checked me randomly and right before the baby was born, but they never called CPS... I would only expect randoms and they shouldnt even test you for it if you didnt tell them, but I would just to be on the safe side
    Anonymous

• no more weed no more alcohol
    pray :)
    some babies can have that experience and come out fine, others dont
    all you can do is commit to taking good care of you and baby from now on
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• umm they do not drug test your pee every time yo go to the doc lmao....i work in a doc office, drug tests have a diff cup to be peed in that has a temp gauge n you send that cup in
    Anonymous