For Wiccans and other Pagans, the dark/new moon?

So I've read about all the phases of the moon and what magick should and should not be performed during those times, and I came across a serious problem. Some of my books say that the new/dark moon should be used for taking away (like addictions, I think) and one or two others say that no magick should be performed at all. This puzzled me because this month on the new/dark moon, I had planned on doing something to try to help with my depression (I'm bipolar and it's gotten very bad since my daughter was born and I got a new kind of birth control) or these recurring nightmares I have. What are your thoughts? Thanks ladies! Blessed be!

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You are doing the right thing by banishing first. Cleaning out the bad stuff. Then you can build yourself up. As the moon grows so will your level of peace as well as your strength. You are doing just fine. We are here for help. I will probably need your help down the line with a ritual or spell work. Keep up the good work
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:32 AM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Well, the things I've read never put new moon and dark moon together. They are separate.
    New moon is for new beginnings, and the dark moon is for banishing.
    I've never personally read anything that says not to do magick on either of those phases.
    Anonymous

• You just work your ritual with the correct moon. New moon for new beginnings Dark for ridding or banishing things. Blessed Be
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:01 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Sorry about grouping them together, but I couldn't remember which phase it was that I read it about. Honestly I think I've read it about both, but I'm not sure, so I put them together (new/dark) hoping that someone would shed some light lol. Thanks ladies, that's what I was thinking about it and I'd say that I read that in some uber fluffy book.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Remember to honor the Crone.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• try read some silver ravenwolf i've always found them very enlightening
    kcandie

Answer by kcandie at 10:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• No offense to anyone, but Silver Ravenwolf is the fluffiest author I've ever read.
    Anonymous

• I agree anon. Her only good work is solitary witch and still there are others that are better.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• The question of performing magic during the dark moon is really one of correspondences. How detailed one gets into them usually determines if this time period is optimal for your goals. But I don't see any reason to not use any time period for magic. I tend to use a loose system of correspondences.

When it comes down to any medical issue, please do take any issues you may have to your doctor as well. Healing comes from many sources and it's not good to ignore the medical profession in preference to magic or faith healing.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Dark of the moon for banishment, waning moon for something to dwindle, new (waxing/growing) moon for planting above ground crops and things you want to increase. New moon is particularly good for Bring Money spells.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009